Unsuccessful clownfish pairing?

Abarger16

Im under the impression that my clowns didnt pair they dont behave like what ive seen with mated pairs. Or how id expect either

I got my first clown a blackice clown back on the first week of june and the second a month later a snowflake clown about 2 times the size of the blackice.

Well now 2 months later the snowflake is using the bta the blackice is not they sleep on opposite corners of the tank they are both the same size now the snowflake still bickers at the blackice and the blackice still does the twitching move back.

Im just starting to think I might need to separate them before things go bad or is this all in my head? Everyone of my fish is in qt right now and their behavior is all the same 

If I remember correctly, I think the male will do the twitching, but still doesn't mean they will pair. Sometimes its just easier to get the pair at the same time while they're small(same tank,roughly same size) i have a pair of non designers if you want to trade. Still small but have been in my frag system for at least 6months. Im Vancouver wa.

23 hours ago, Abarger16 said:

There hasnt been any significant quarrels since day 1 the snowflake likes to swim really fast up to the blackice every once and awhile 

Like someone said the twitching is a sign of submission. As long as the snowflake backs off and doesn’t attack that’s a good sign.  If you have an acclimation box and can separate them quickly if it gets more physical you can wait it out.  I find usually things go better if there is a significant size difference between the two fish. 

I also find that trying to mix a percula with an ocellaris species doesn’t work but you have two ocellaris. 

They were only actually agressive day one the blackice grabbed the snowflake as soon as I dropped it out of the bag and tried to swim around with it in its mouth this lastes about 1 second and then the reverse happened and then the blackice did the twitching move and they went on their way. The snowflake has never bitten the other clown since, it just rushes up to the other at random no agression while eating. Just seems to me like the snowflake is checking the blackice. Im concerned because the blackice is growing faster than the snowflake. Used to be that the snowflake was 2x the size of the blackice not the case anymore.

18 minutes ago, Abarger16 said:

They were only actually agressive day one the blackice grabbed the snowflake as soon as I dropped it out of the bag and tried to swim around with it in its mouth this lastes about 1 second and then the reverse happened and then the blackice did the twitching move and they went on their way. The snowflake has never bitten the other clown since, it just rushes up to the other at random no agression while eating. Just seems to me like the snowflake is checking the blackice. Im concerned because the blackice is growing faster than the snowflake. Used to be that the snowflake was 2x the size of the blackice not the case anymore.

You are correct the snowflake is imposing its dominance on the black ice and as long as the black ice does the twitching probably will be fine but  you are also correct if there is not much of a size difference could be a problem. I feel like your instincts are good.  If it is still showing that kind of agression it’s not feeling ver secure. I usually know within the first day or two if it’s going to work. The snowflake sounds super aggressive and I have only had luck with those when I added a much bigger clown. It was kinda funny to see.