Hyperactive diamond goby

Jeff.Tichenor

I had one years ago in a tank with clams. He would constantly bury them and dig all over. Had to get rid of him, too crazy lol

I think it’s like most fish, some people luck out with one that had a more chill personality but in my observations, unless you don’t want anything on the sand bed or don’t care about digging piles, they probably aren’t the fish for you 😬

I had a 2' x 4' sand bed with the ugly brown covering (diatoms). I bought one and within 2 days it was completely cleaned white. It was continuously vacuuming it. It make tunnels thru all the rock work. Sometimes tilted my small frag islands or spit sand on some. I just used a baster and prongs to straighten and clean up some corals. I loved watching it and admired my clean white sand bed. Then it jumped out a small opening even with my glass covering. It was a sad loss.

Yes, my old diamond goby (now owned by @obrien.david.j) frequently made big piles, and occasionally would bury small frags on the tank bottom.  I eventually learned to simply not place anything important on the sand bottom, and also removed some sand so it's not too deep.

On a related note, here's a video of the goby preparing his burrow for the night before diving under the sand:

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

Yes, my old diamond goby (now owned by @obrien.david.j) frequently made big piles, and occasionally would bury small frags on the tank bottom.  I eventually learned to simply not place anything important on the sand bottom, and also removed some sand so it's not too deep.

On a related note, here's a video of the goby preparing his burrow for the night before diving under the sand:

That's so cool you caught him going to bed on video!

• Like 1