Lost my Red Planet SPS colony...

obrien.david.j

Lost my Red Planet SPS to RTN in the last week.   It's the only species hit, and I'm hoping I have an answer for why - but only time will tell.

What am I thinking?   I was gone for a week.   Asking tank sitter to add WaterGlass every other day to increase Silica levels to encourage diatoms.  (to fight dinos)    Location of the RP colony was kind of in prime spot for just Pouring In the waterglass.    I always pour slowly, but if you just Dump - I think it would have hit this coral.

But, there's a strange twist.    When I first got this colony, on tiny frag broke off, so I clued it on the front of the display rock to let it just naturally grow.  It's done fine.  Slow, since it was just a chip, but fine.    What I've noticed is IT TOO has RTN'd.   Almost like RTN on mother colony, also triggered RTN on this chip.

As reef keepers, we don't always post about our failures.   I have more than I've posted about for sure.   Thought this would be an interesting one for everyone.

Friday July 1st:  (just a little section dieing)

image.jpeg

Sunday July 3rd, Expanding

image.jpeg

Friday July 8th, Gone.   (algae over earlier death, white is recent death)

image.jpeg

Sympathetic Chip death

image.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Posting our failures is vital to learning. Just when I think I have it figured out something happens. I'll occasionally have a coral STN while others are fine. Of course it's usually one that I like most. 

It may, or not, have had anything to do with silicate dosage. I know there is some science regarding the relationship between such and diatoms, but personally in my take the goal is zero. I manage undesirable algae in other ways. 

Sorry for the loss, if had that coral I would gladly share the genome. 

I have had so much losses with rtn/stn, and what I've experienced is to cut off any of the infected and completely remove it from the tank. Sometimes it works.but it could also already be in the coral from something prior to you receiving it. Sps is tough. I feel your pain.

• Like 1

Have you ever tried witch hazel dosing for STN/RTN? Too late in this case but check it out. It’s one of the tools from Reef Moonshiners methods. I keep it on hand and have dosed on occasion. No I’ll effects and corals appeared to recover.

Sucks to lose such a nice colony though, that is why I stopped keeping birds nest lol

55 minutes ago, Blue Z Reef said:

Have you ever tried witch hazel dosing for STN/RTN? Too late in this case but check it out. It’s one of the tools from Reef Moonshiners methods. I keep it on hand and have dosed on occasion. No I’ll effects and corals appeared to recover.

Sucks to lose such a nice colony though, that is why I stopped keeping birds nest lol

Thanks for the input.  I remember reading about it in the RM manual, but better go back and read again.  Maybe it's time.  

On 7/10/2022 at 3:21 PM, Blue Z Reef said:

Will have to check this out for future reference!

Well that is unfortunate but also really interesting to see that the remote piece also RTN'd along with the mother colony.  Would argue against simple local conditions but perhaps something that species is more sensitive too as a whole.  Alternately, perhaps something released from the RTN mother colony that selectively affects that species.  Definitely fascinating even if highly unfortunate.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Well that is unfortunate but also really interesting to see that the remote piece also RTN'd along with the mother colony.  Would argue against simple local conditions but perhaps something that species is more sensitive too as a whole.  Alternately, perhaps something released from the RTN mother colony that selectively affects that species.  Definitely fascinating even if highly unfortunate.

That's why I posted this.  A really interesting, remote connection.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...