WTB Peppermint shrimp (or other Aptasia CuC)

ClownF1sh

12 minutes ago, islandVib3s said:

Lol I have the same problem, just got a filefile in qt,also added 3 peppermint to the frag/grow tank

You know what's really cool looking....   The THREE filefish I have in my tank.  They're cool as a group.  

Bought each as Known Aptasia Eater...  and they didn't touch them.

My Copper banded butterfly fish is also cool looking...  and didn't touch my aptasia.

In fairness, I like to feed the tank heavily every day.   So my theory is, my food was easer to get than munching on aptasia.  And that's why I needed to setup the isolated tank with shrimp, feed nothing, and let them eat Aptasia there.

And I'm still enjoying the heck out of the three filefish in my tank.  Aptasia Free.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, obrien.david.j said:

You know what's really cool looking....   The THREE filefish I have in my tank.  They're cool as a group.  

Bought each as Known Aptasia Eater...  and they didn't touch them.

My Copper banded butterfly fish is also cool looking...  and didn't touch my aptasia.

In fairness, I like to feed the tank heavily every day.   So my theory is, my food was easer to get than munching on aptasia.  And that's why I needed to setup the isolated tank with shrimp, feed nothing, and let them eat Aptasia there.

And I'm still enjoying the heck out of the three filefish in my tank.  Aptasia Free.

Lol I started with about 7 or 8 berghia which made a huge dent in them,but they have disappeared and morphed into stomenilas lol idk,I've looked hard for them and I can't find them lol.so to cover all the bases I just got almost everything but a copperband,but I want one lol

I always hear mixed reviews about those filefish, I am glad I didnt get one! I also tried the molly miller blenny to see if it would eat aptasia and had no luck with mine, from what I read online their kinda like the filefish. Some will eat aptasia, others just aren't interested. 

41 minutes ago, ClownF1sh said:

I always hear mixed reviews about those filefish, I am glad I didnt get one! I also tried the molly miller blenny to see if it would eat aptasia and had no luck with mine, from what I read online their kinda like the filefish. Some will eat aptasia, others just aren't interested. 

Through my various experiences eliminating aptasia over the years, I've come to the conclusion treatment in the display tank depends on display tank conditions.

1. If you're a heavy daily feeder, you're less likely to succeed with In-Tank eaters.  (peppermint shrimp, filefish, butterflies, etc)    You're giving them easy food, they're full, why would they eat an aptaia.

2. Berghia Nudibranchs are the exception, they only eat aptasia - so feeding the tank doesn't matter.   But there's a caveat...

3. If you've got Amphipods, they eat Berghia eggs - and Berghia don't work.

All three of these conditions unfortunately applied to my situation.     I was running chronically low on PO4 and NO3, and Feeding Like Crazy.    Tried Berghia, but the population never took off.  Turns out I have a huge/healthy Amphipod population, I'd subscribed to FloridaPets to have Amphipods delivered every two weeks for about three months.  

That's why I ended up doing an isolation tank kill method, using peppermint shrimp, in an Unfed env.  Which worked.   I think this same method would work using either fish too.

I wish I could go the nudibranch route, I have amphipods in my tank that will just eat all of their eggs so It looks like I need to go the peppermint shrimp route. It is the darndest thing, I have called around to every saltwater fish store in the area and they are all sold out(have been looking for around two weeks now). There is one that is about an hour and a half away that has small ones for $12 and another spot 30 minutes away charging $36 a piece (highway robbery in my opinion). It looks like I will have to have to get creative until some more come around! 

• 4 weeks later...

Still looking for peppermint shrimp or a copperbanded butterfly if anyone has one they would be willing to rehome! Aptasia are taking over the tank sadly and stinging the heck out of corals so if anyone has a lead on either from a local source it would be greatly appreciated! I will also offer a ten dollar finders fee if anyone knows of a copperbanded being rehomed from an established reef in portland area or within a 30 minute drive!