Jump to content

Any professional plumbers. Got a Q for you.


Parzifal
 Share

Recommended Posts

I just got a quote for repiping my 2 story home.  Basement is exposed.

1 kitchen, 3 bathrooms.

The estimate was $21k. It included redoing the line from the street ($3k) and patching the holes (no painting $5k).

is that insane, or is that what I’m going to see for most plumbing services?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The quotes we received to repipe our old house were in the 5k range.  2 bathrooms and kitchen, crawl space, but not the line from the street. Unsure on the patches they were confident they could do the bulk of the work without cutting up the walls. That was for PEX, not copper. We didn't pay it, but offered it as cash to the buyer at closing.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Layton said:

The quotes we received to repipe our old house were in the 5k range.  2 bathrooms and kitchen, crawl space, but not the line from the street. Unsure on the patches they were confident they could do the bulk of the work without cutting up the walls. That was for PEX, not copper. We didn't pay it, but offered it as cash to the buyer at closing.  

Awesome thanks!  That’s more in line with what I was thinking. I know it’s hard work, but 20k seemed a bit high.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Parzifal said:

I just got a quote for repiping my 2 story home.  Basement is exposed.

1 kitchen, 3 bathrooms.

The estimate was $21k. It included redoing the line from the street ($3k) and patching the holes (no painting $5k).

is that insane, or is that what I’m going to see for most plumbing services?

We just had our whole house redone this year. It was about $22k and didn't include patching drywall. That was another ~$3.5k. This was from a reputable plumbing company here in Salem. We also have a sizeable house. This also included a tankless water heater and a recirculator across the entire property as well as a few new sinks/faucets etc. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah,  see that makes sense. To me. New fixtures, new water heaters and recirc…is your home over 2500 sq feet?

1 hour ago, youcallmenny said:

We just had our whole house redone this year. It was about $22k and didn't include patching drywall. That was another ~$3.5k. This was from a reputable plumbing company here in Salem. We also have a sizeable house. This also included a tankless water heater and a recirculator across the entire property as well as a few new sinks/faucets etc. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Parzifal said:

Yeah,  see that makes sense. To me. New fixtures, new water heaters and recirc…is your home over 2500 sq feet?

 

Quite a bit over, yes... lol. The tankless water heater is really nice but it definitely added several grand to the adventure. 

Edited by youcallmenny
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Blackice said:

Are new construction 2500sf house total plumbing bill was around 15-16k  

I assume that was water and sewer plus appliance install?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My parents just did this through repipe specialists for their water lines (no drain/sewage). They had quest pipes that fail (early 90s disaster product lol). Total was 18k with drywall but no painting.

 

What my dad thought though was if you just hired out all the subs individually you would probably save money. The issue is that repipe specialists acts as the general contractor and just hires all the subs so you are paying them plus whatever extra they charge on top of the  subs quotes for them to be the “organizer”. Yes, sometimes it makes the job go faster, but you pay extra for the coordination. They just used a local plumber (I believe it was Sarkinen or something…but forgetting). If you find a drywaller and plumber yourself it will probably be cheaper is all I’m saying. Good luck, it’s a big job and a lot of tear up.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Blue Z Reef said:

My parents just did this through repipe specialists for their water lines (no drain/sewage). They had quest pipes that fail (early 90s disaster product lol). Total was 18k with drywall but no painting.

 

What my dad thought though was if you just hired out all the subs individually you would probably save money. The issue is that repipe specialists acts as the general contractor and just hires all the subs so you are paying them plus whatever extra they charge on top of the  subs quotes for them to be the “organizer”. Yes, sometimes it makes the job go faster, but you pay extra for the coordination. They just used a local plumber (I believe it was Sarkinen or something…but forgetting). If you find a drywaller and plumber yourself it will probably be cheaper is all I’m saying. Good luck, it’s a big job and a lot of tear up.

Oh that makes sense.  The rep said they do 90+ of these every week… that seems like a crazy number.  Closing in on $2 million a week from just the Portland area.  Didn’t realize they hire out. It definitely takes a lot of work to do.  Im crossing my fingers the others bid lower. 
 

thanks for the info!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That is sooooo ridiculous!!   The first floor, with the exposed basement, is child's play.   I literally replumbed my entire 1 story rental house in a single day. The second floor is tricker but you can pull pex pretty easily.  

If you want to pay me 5k to patch drywall you just let me know when and I will show up. 

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

That is sooooo ridiculous!!   The first floor, with the exposed basement, is child's play.   I literally replumbed my entire 1 story rental house in a single day. The second floor is tricker but you can pull pex pretty easily.  

If you want to pay me 5k to patch drywall you just let me know when and I will show up. 

 

 

It is ridiculous. Contractors are out of control on prices in recent years. Plumbers are as bad as electricians to begin with and the price hikes have driven it through the roof. While I don't disagree, these prices are pretty standard at this point if you hire professionals. You get what you pay for though too. Good work isn't cheap and has a lot of perks that doing it yourself simply doesn't provide. Like a warranty and reputable labor lol. 

Edited by youcallmenny
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just Hirer all the trades separately.  No need to go through one contractor.  Especially that Fitter place you mentioned as they are just a third party place that will just contacted the cheapest place and do there mark up. 
If you need names and numbers I’m sure I can help you out.  
 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

That is sooooo ridiculous!!   The first floor, with the exposed basement, is child's play.   I literally replumbed my entire 1 story rental house in a single day. The second floor is tricker but you can pull pex pretty easily.  

If you want to pay me 5k to patch drywall you just let me know when and I will show up. 

 

 

Lol,

 

yeah.  I’ve done enough drywall that patching it should probably cost me $50 and a weekend.   Not worth 5k!

if I go that route,  you can come drink beer and laugh as I mess up. 😁

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Flash21 said:

Just Hirer all the trades separately.  No need to go through one contractor.  Especially that Fitter place you mentioned as they are just a third party place that will just contacted the cheapest place and do there mark up. 
If you need names and numbers I’m sure I can help you out.  
 

 

Thanks.  Another plumber is on their way here.  Hopefully they have a different price. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...