Flippin' Disaster...Jeff Saves the Day

Gil&Fin

I'm finally posting this as my PTSD is now under control and my counselor said it's okay to talk about it.  LOL (sort of).  Monday morning, April 25, at about 7 am, my APEX sent me a text that I had a leak.  Well, "leak" turned out to be a busted seam at the base (I think) of my 300 gallon display tank.  Water was spewing out of the bottom/side of the tank and the floor was flooded.  Jeff ( @CuttleFishandCoral) came over immediately and managed to save just about all of the livestock.  He also helped my hubby get all the tanks out of the fish room so that we could start getting the water off the floor before all the walls were destroyed.  In fact, he had to call the guys from the shop over to help get the tank out.  I don't know what I would have done without him.

Needless to say, this has been quite an ordeal.  I've decided to not set up another tank right now, and am in the middle (well, probably just the beginning, really) of getting my equipment cleaned and organized, then I'll decide what to sell.

In addition to Jeff's amazing help (I'm nominating him for sainthood--I'll let you know when I hear back from the Vatican), I also want to give a Shout Out to John ( @SuncrestReef ), Calvin ( @kilmca ) and Richard ( @Zoolander ) as well, who offered to come over and help with the cleanup efforts.  Good peeps.  Had I contacted any number of you, I know you would have been here in a heartbeat to help.  You know who you are, and so do I.

Holly

PS If anyone is looking for a 300 gallon reptile tank, hit me up ; )

• Like 1
  • Sad 10

Omg I’m so sorry!!! I know the pain of what you are going through all to well mine Marineland tank was only 6 months old you made it way longer 😉 Next step get on the phone with your homeowners insurance and Marine land they will initially deny everything but if you’re as persistent is Robyn was they will pay for the damages

• Like 1

How much for the reptile tank? I may know someone.

I’m glad they were able to help you. Jeff is a great guy. If it makes you feel better my septic broke the same week and I got 60 gallons of human skimmer water on my floor. 

Edited by Trigg
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Holly,

whenever you are ready, there is a huge community here itching to help with any and every part of your tank rebuild.

i know a ton of people on here that will come move/plumb/fill/sift/filter/glue and refill your tank with the beautiful creatures you love looking at.

whenever you’re ready, there’s no rush. Just send up red sparks and we will come (sorry just watched goblet of fire).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

That is the risk of glass tanks.. especially the ML 300 😞. Silicone can only last so long. 

Would hate to see you exit the hobby.  Maybe a super pimp acrylic tank at cost?  4 foot x 6 foot....  Could be pretty cool.....

Thank, Brian.  I don't see that happening anytime soon.  On the other hand, even though I don't have a tank, I won't consider myself out of the hobby.  I have too many close friends and connections here.  You guys are stuck with me.  : )

19 minutes ago, Gil&Fin said:

Thank, Brian.  I don't see that happening anytime soon.  On the other hand, even though I don't have a tank, I won't consider myself out of the hobby.  I have too many close friends and connections here.  You guys are stuck with me.  : )

Holly, you and I should start our own support group for non-tank-owning reefers!  Maybe name it "Reefless Reefers".  😉

• Haha 2

I'm so sorry to see this Holly. That is my worst nightmare. That's similar to what happened to Garrett's taller version of that tank, right?

Kudos to all of you for helping Holly out. I know she would have done the same for any of us.

Good luck with your next steps!

Andy

• Like 1

Oh nooooo!  I loved that tank - so sorry to hear about this Holly!  Been so absorbed in the work and house stuff I totally missed this. Glad Jeff was able to save the livestock and minimize the damage. Will be taking what’s left of my tank down soon for relocation as well so maybe I can join the support group!

• Like 1