Perculas hatch

talkalot82

I've got a pair of Ocellaris Clowns that started breeding in October.  Laying eggs almost like clockwork in the main tank. 

The current batch, my trap only caught 9-10 larvae, of those 3 are alive.  Not sure what caused the others to fall out after 24-72 hours. Likely my quantity of Roti's was low.   

Lot's of learnings as I go along.  I lost one batch due to a bad heater (swings too high/low).  I lost one batch at day 25 due to SDS.  I think it was the loud noise from a carpet cleaner as they all dropped within 3 hours that afternoon.  There were a few batches I didn't time well with setting up my Vossen Trap and didn't catch any at all.  One batch was 70+, but they all died within 48 hours, no clue why.  I have another batch with a lone survivor of only 4 that didn't even start metamorphis for 25 days but is now 6 months old and doing fine.

How many clutches have you produced?  Any tips for success you've discovered?  I've been trying to follow the advice from the ReefNutrition page and some other posts.

• Like 1

On 5/11/2022 at 11:09 AM, mpfinnigan said:

I've got a pair of Ocellaris Clowns that started breeding in October.  Laying eggs almost like clockwork in the main tank. 

The current batch, my trap only caught 9-10 larvae, of those 3 are alive.  Not sure what caused the others to fall out after 24-72 hours. Likely my quantity of Roti's was low.   

Lot's of learnings as I go along.  I lost one batch due to a bad heater (swings too high/low).  I lost one batch at day 25 due to SDS.  I think it was the loud noise from a carpet cleaner as they all dropped within 3 hours that afternoon.  There were a few batches I didn't time well with setting up my Vossen Trap and didn't catch any at all.  One batch was 70+, but they all died within 48 hours, no clue why.  I have another batch with a lone survivor of only 4 that didn't even start metamorphis for 25 days but is now 6 months old and doing fine.

How many clutches have you produced?  Any tips for success you've discovered?  I've been trying to follow the advice from the ReefNutrition page and some other posts.

I have done 14 or 15 clutches. On occellarius on day three I start baby brine shrimp and rotifers or the clowns won't grow and starve bbs can't be more than 48 hours old. Tinted tank with green water of course. Feed 3 to 4 times a day. 

If they die within 48 hours it's normally starvation density of rotifers are big enough there's not enough green water so the light can make it hard for them

to see food. There might not have been enough air in the tank for the amount of rotifers that you had in there. But my best guess is starvation at that 48 hour. They might have enough rotifers but what you're feeding your rotifers might not be the best that's a possibility too. 

11 hours ago, talkalot82 said:

If they die within 48 hours it's normally starvation density of rotifers are big enough there's not enough green water so the light can make it hard for them

to see food. There might not have been enough air in the tank for the amount of rotifers that you had in there. But my best guess is starvation at that 48 hour. They might have enough rotifers but what you're feeding your rotifers might not be the best that's a possibility too. 

This is my guess too.  I've been measuring the green algae (RG Omega) I add with a syringe to keep it generally consistently murky semi-translucent.

I feed the Roti's RG Complete, but the harvests don't seem consistent and the amount of Rotifers to add each feeding has been hard to balance. 

13 hours ago, talkalot82 said:

To meta faster tank temp should be warm. 80 to 82 degrees f. Sand they need to look like peanuts. At day 5 I feed tdo a. I've tried sooner but they don't take it and it pollutes 

What did you mean by this?  "Sand they need to look like peanuts."

How often do you water change on the tank to minimize ammonia?