Return pumps

Abarger16

Okay so ill be placing my sump in my basement! And ive been trying to decide if i should go with a reeflo swordtail pump or 2 neptune cor20s i need about 10 feet of head pressue and im up in the air at this point sound isnt a problem cause the equipment will be in the basement

Just some questions about the setup.

is there exactly 10 feet between the bottom of the pump and the top of the tank?

Are there any turns the piping will go through?

what’s the flow rate you’re looking for?

Sorry,  I’m still stuck on there only being 10’ of head pressure. 

if your sump is in the basement, I assume it’s either on the floor or on a 3’ stand…. Assuming the basement is 84” tall and your using standard floor joists and your display tank is 5’ off the floor, add 3’ for 90 elbows and 2’ for those wonderful “oh [language filter], I didn’t think about that” occurrences you’re at 15’ of head pressure minimum, if the sump is on a stand.  If not, you’re looking at 18’ of head.

I agree with @markv,  iwaki pumps will probably be your most economical to do the job (they are AC external pumps).  If you’re looking for an internal pump then you’re starting to look at red dragons, abyzz…tougher to pump out 1000gph reliably with 15’ of head. External pumps are still simply vastly more economical for high head pressure situations.  There are several internals that will do it…they just will cost a ton.

as for 45 vs 90 elbows… when you get down to the nitty gritty lovely math   2x 45’s actually add more head pressure than one 90,  but it’s so slight it’s not worth adding any stress about it.  Use whichever they both work the same. 

• Like 1

FYI:  I have a COR20 on my Reefer XL 425.  It's plumbed with 1" PVC, has 3 x 90 degree elbows and 2 x 45 degree elbows before exiting through the Red Sea nozzle which is only about 5/8".  Total plumbing height is only about 4 feet, yet my flow never exceeds 450 gph.

It depends,  if you want a super clean look with no power heads,  that’s a great flow number and doable,   Just gonna cost you an extra $600 versus a lower head pump plus power heads. 

i don’t like the aesthetics of powerheads, so I went with an abyzz (when it was half the current price).  Some people think that was a $&@!ing dumb waste of money…and they are not wrong, but it produces the turnover I need without the requirement for additional powerheads.

most go for a lower cost pump with extra powerheads because the higher cost of these internal high head silent DC pumps is extra money spent for zero husbandry benefit to our pets.

the only real question is: is it worth an extra $600-800 for this one piece of equipment to get the exact picture you have in your head?

Good call!!   If you need to sand down the shaft due to rust make sure to use a high grit sandpaper like 320+ and just plug in the motor.  The shaft spinning is way better than trying to do it by hand. 

just make sure all parts that could hit you are removed!