June PNWMAS meeting - Hatfield Marine Science Center

On 5/23/2022 at 11:37 AM, Layton said:

Booked it! Will be my wife and I, and our two girls. Going to hit up The Oregon Coast Aquarium too, looking forward to it!

I’m taking to my daughter to the aquarium after too! She is 6, how old are your girls? She will be excited for other kids. 

25 minutes ago, Nikkibabee said:

Hey all. I made a signup for the potluck. Let me know if it doesn’t work for you. 

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1PBjbRhcqFYPjgWi9SNGDbmQPB81endcIXjZHJMsbgiQ/edit

Sorry I won’t be able to make this due to work.  There is a grill in the back. Someone will need to bring charcoal and lighter fluid. It can get windy so getting the grill started Can be a challenge. In the past we have grilled burgers and hot dogs and then people brought things like water chips etc. There is a refrigerator that we were able to use in the past.

15 minutes ago, Emerald525 said:

Sorry I won’t be able to make this due to work.  There is a grill in the back. Someone will need to bring charcoal and lighter fluid. It can get windy so getting the grill started Can be a challenge. In the past we have grilled burgers and hot dogs and then people brought things like water chips etc. There is a refrigerator that we were able to use in the past.

There is a grill in the back. Took a look at this venerable Weber today in preparation and she's listing badly to starboard. Torpedo or coastal oxidation? Hard to say, but she's done. The weather looks unforgiving for grilling but there's a sheltered area just off the staff lounge that might be out of the wind. If one of you folks would like to be the grillmaster, I'll bring my Weber and furnish the charcoal and starter, as well.

For those contributing to the potluck, there is refrigeration available on site and although there are picnic tables outside, we'll likely be using the tables and chairs in the lounge. I'll come out around 12 and send word through the PA.

It's been three years since I hosted a PNWMAS meeting and I'm looking very much forward to it. Holler with any questions!

Sid

Edited by IntoTheMystic
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

For anyone buying for the potluck, I can't miss an opportunity to eat at my favorite restaurant on the Oregon Coast, Local Ocean Seafoods.  Please don't include us in the headcount if buying food, I don't want it to go to waste!

4 hours ago, Layton said:

For anyone buying for the potluck, I can't miss an opportunity to eat at my favorite restaurant on the Oregon Coast, Local Ocean Seafoods.  Please don't include us in the headcount if buying food, I don't want it to go to waste!

Local Ocean is the best ! Sid aka @IntoTheMystic thanks for the recommendation. Sirena and I have made several trips. Have fun everyone !

• Like 1

So, it sounds like folks are thinking about fresh albacore, Rockfish fish and chips, oysters from just upriver and other righteously fresh and delicious seafood rather than potluck. And who can blame them? As long as you're on the coast, why not tuck into the ocean's bounty?

So, should I not bring the grill, charcoal and accelerant? Up to you folks, really. I'm good either way. Just want to make sure that I cover my host responsibilities properly.

Please let me know this evening so I can plan accordingly in the morning. See you soon!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IntoTheMystic said:

So, it sounds like folks are thinking about fresh albacore, Rockfish fish and chips, oysters from just upriver and other righteously fresh and delicious seafood rather than potluck. And who can blame them? As long as you're on the coast, why not tuck into the ocean's bounty?

So, should I not bring the grill, charcoal and accelerant? Up to you folks, really. I'm good either way. Just want to make sure that I cover my host responsibilities properly.

Please let me know this evening so I can plan accordingly in the morning. See you soon!

The wife & I plan to have brunch before the meeting, then we have reservations for dinner at 6pm, so we'll skip the put luck to save our appetites.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Nikkibabee said:

I saw a post that they saw whales by Hatfield today. More excited then before about going now!

Yup, word that there was a pod of orca in the Bay today flew around HMSC like wildfire. Not a great day to be a pinniped calf in Yaquina Bay, though.

And you really do want to eat locally even though, as you all know,  PNWMAS potlucks are not to be missed. Hopefully, next year we'll have more agreeable grilling conditions and we can have the potluck and fish right out of the water. 🍴!

Local Ocean is on the eastern bayfront and is great. One of the best kitchens in town. Can also recommend South Beach Fish Market close to HMSC at the south end of the bridge. Tempura fresh catch and some house-smoked delicacies. I'd go for the salmon candy at this joint as a side to your entree. Rustic and coastal but very fresh catch.

For linen and a higher ticket average, check out Clearwater, also on the bayfront and also a respectable kitchen.

If you want to watch the wind and waves thrash the shore from your table, Georgie's is on the ocean side. Food and kitchen are decent and it's next to a hotel right on the shore if you're coming down for an overnight. High tide is right at dinnertime and this'd be a good place to order an extra round or two and watch the waves.

For breakfast the next morning, you really should plan on going to La Maison, just off 101 to the east. Small green house with a double handful of tables. You really can't go wrong on this menu. Oh yeah, homemade English muffins..........

I'll see you folks at 12!

• Like 2