June PNWMAS meeting - Hatfield Marine Science Center

We are very excited to announce the return of our annual summer meeting at the Hatfield Marine Science Center in Newport, OR!  The HMSC's Senior Aquarist, Sid (also a PNWMAS member known here as @IntoTheMystic) has hosted this meeting in years past, and has graciously offered to host us again this year.

Join us on Saturday, June 4th at 12:00 noon.  Sid will give us a behind the scenes tour of the facility and lead a discussion on quarantine and biosecurity.  We'll also have an onsite BBQ pot luck, so feel free to bring some items to throw on the grill and/or some side dishes to share.  Refrigeration and restrooms will be available.

What:  PNWMAS Meeting with Sid from HMSC
When: Saturday, June 4th at 12:00 noon
Where:   
Hatfield Marine Science Center Visitor Center
2030 SE Marine Science Drive
Newport, OR  97365-5229

Admission Fee:  $3.00 per person -- this supports the HMSC to subsidize their operations.

(map here)

Please reply in this thread if you plan to attend.  Looking forward to seeing you all in Newport! 

Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 10.34.54 AM.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 10.35.56 AM.png

image.png

Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 10.37.52 AM.png

• Like 4

• SuncrestReef changed the title to June PNWMAS meeting - Hatfield Marine Science Center

This is usually a smaller crowd and always a good time! Newport is a fun town and @IntoTheMysticis a great host. In the past we have had the opportunity to handle a greater pacific octopus 🐙 and one of my favorite seafood places is nearby ! I have to work that day but if I can find someone to trade with I will be down there! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, albertareef said:

Hey Greg - would be great if you could make it.  Good chance Darcy and I will be busy with house stuff unfortunately...

Bummer Sean. I tried to wave you down to say hi but you were slammed with the raffle. Hopefully we can catch up in July then! It's been too long!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, youcallmenny said:

Bummer Sean. I tried to wave you down to say hi but you were slammed with the raffle. Hopefully we can catch up in July then! It's been too long!

Oh man... sorry to have missed you - didn't realize you had made it.  Yeah, raffle was crazy yesterday!

• Haha 1

Hey folks!

At long last, I have finally dropped the piano and am responding to this thread. Couple things:

1. I can't tell you all how much I'm looking forward to hosting a meeting and seeing you all again.

2. Some necessary changes have taken place since the last time I hosted a meeting. Chiefly, reservations are now required to visit the Visitor's Center, primarily to control the number of people in the VC at any one time due to OSU's COVID protocols. Also, there is a modest $3 per person fee. This is something that we've been thinking about for a long time in order to staff the VC properly and implement some much-needed exhibit improvements, which are an ongoing process.

Website for reservations can be found here:

https://seagrant.oregonstate.edu/visitor-center

Since the meeting doesn't begin until 12, please feel free to reserve your spots anytime before then and tour the VC at your leisure.

Although we love dogs around HMSC, they will not be allowed on campus for the meeting.

Feel free to reach out with any other questions about this meeting. I'll see you all soon!

Edited by IntoTheMystic
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 5/16/2022 at 12:44 PM, IntoTheMystic said:

Hey folks!

At long last, I have finally dropped the piano and am responding to this thread. Couple things:

1. I can't tell you all how much I'm looking forward to hosting a meeting and seeing you all again.

2. Some necessary changes have taken place since the last time I hosted a meeting. Chiefly, reservations are now required to visit the Visitor's Center, primarily to control the number of people in the VC at any one time due to OSU's COVID protocols. Also, there is a modest $3 per person fee. This is something that we've been thinking about for a long time in order to staff the VC properly and implement some much-needed exhibit improvements, which are an ongoing process.

Website for reservations can be found here:

https://seagrant.oregonstate.edu/visitor-center

Since the meeting doesn't begin until 12, please feel free to reserve your spots anytime before then and tour the VC at your leisure.

Although we love dogs around HMSC, they will not be allowed on campus for the meeting.

Feel free to reach out with any other questions about this meeting. I'll see you all soon!

I booked my reservation.  Simple process.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

Wish I could go but unfortunately I have to work and couldn’t find anyone to trade with me. It would be nice to catch up with you Syd. It’s always a nice road trip out to Newport. 

No worries, Kim. Pretty sure that you have been to all of the meetings I've hosted at HMSC and surely, we all have professional obligations that occasionally interfere with fun things that we want to do. If asked, I'll be happy to host June meetings next year and the years following. We'll see you next year instead and Local Ocean will still be there for culinary fulfillment!

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, IntoTheMystic said:

No worries, Kim. Pretty sure that you have been to all of the meetings I've hosted at HMSC and surely, we all have professional obligations that occasionally interfere with fun things that we want to do. If asked, I'll be happy to host June meetings next year and the years following. We'll see you next year instead and Local Ocean will still be there for culinary fulfillment!

Yes thanks for the tip about local ocean. Love that area and yes while work does get in the way it does afford me the opportunities that I have had .

• 2 weeks later...