To Manifold or not

islandVib3s

Ok so I currently have a algaescrubber, has its independent pump. Soon to add a reactor for rowaphos,but will require another pump. Also thinking about building a uv system with a drop in uv bulb which will require another pump. If I build the manifold I can run everything off 1 pump and adjust flow by the ball valves. Im also thinking of adding another reactor for carbon,as of now I just drop a bag in sump with flow. So it will need a minimum of 4 valves but im thinking 5 to have a extra in case or as a flow valve for refugium section and not needing a powerhead. Im think a 1/2 manifold to keep the flow pressure and because usually everything has 1/2 hoses and it would fit better in my 40breeder sump. Another idea is to attach a barb to my skimmer return but its 1.5in I believe 🤔 so much to do and so little funds lol. Brain storming to make the system easy and stable. 

Manifolds are great for items that don’t need a specific flow rate.  The reactor and algae scrubber would be great in a manifold.  You may find it difficult to ensure the right flow through your uv without a flow meter and/or dedicated pump.  

certainly doable and much more efficient to have one pump with gate valves than a whole bunch of pumps,  but the UV sterilizer really needs specific flow rates, which means flow meter and or a specific pump with known head pressure.   

• Like 2

Just now, Parzifal said:

Manifolds are great for items that don’t need a specific flow rate.  The reactor and algae scrubber would be great in a manifold.  You may find it difficult to ensure the right flow through your uv without a flow meter and/or dedicated pump.  

certainly doable and much more efficient to have one pump with gate valves than a whole bunch of pumps,  but the UV sterilizer really needs specific flow rates, which means flow meter and or a specific pump with known head pressure.   

Yea I think im going to have to make one. Thats too many pumps in my sump and not enough plugs lol. Also the uv im going to build myself with a 15watt drop in bulb. I plan on adding a 800+gph pump to the manifold and I know the scrubber requires around 240-450 ghp,reactor barely any just to tumble. I figured the rest can go to the diy uv and even if it was really low flow,I know the longer the contact time the better the sterilization. It would just be a 1.5in pvc with screw on caps and 2 barbs. I would buy a pre-made one but it looks simple enough and cost is a major factor for me and they're usually rated for 120+ gallons and im rocking a 75 w/40b sump lol I also enjoy the building and learning 

So I manifolded my setup and love it.

I have my return, nitrate reactor, UV, and one extra that currently isn’t used. 

Ball valve is good enough to control flow rate for UV, you can estimate it by how fast you fill a bucket.

As monkey boy says reactors are a bit annoying they need to be cleaned at least quarterly but nothing else would dent my nitrates (well maybe I should buy a filter roller lol)

Don’t know about algae scrubber my sump grows chaeto faster than I desire to trim it. I just gave monkey boy a basketball size clump two weeks ago and it’s back. 

And +1 for lanthium chloride too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jtichenor said:

One downside to a manifold is your overflow full siphon will have to be adjusted every time you add/remove items from the manifold. 

Really? I have a bean animal setup. It would have some minor level adjustments in sump because equipment taking space.

6 hours ago, islandVib3s said:

Really? I have a bean animal setup. It would have some minor level adjustments in sump because equipment taking space.

The full siphon flow rate on the overflow matches exactly the return flow rate back to the tank.

If you divert some to a new device (say 50 gal/hr to a carbon reactor) that is less water going back to your tank. You'll need to restrict your siphon more to compensate. 

Now when it comes time to change out the carbon in that reactor and you shut off the water to that device, you are diverting that to the tank now and you'll need to open up the siphon a little to compensate. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, jtichenor said:

The full siphon flow rate on the overflow matches exactly the return flow rate back to the tank.

If you divert some to a new device (say 50 gal/hr to a carbon reactor) that is less water going back to your tank. You'll need to restrict your siphon more to compensate. 

Now when it comes time to change out the carbon in that reactor and you shut off the water to that device, you are diverting that to the tank now and you'll need to open up the siphon a little to compensate. 

Don't think @islandVib3s is using the return as the source for the manifold, but I may have misread the original post.

• Like 1