90g Brackish w/ 3 Indian Mud Moray

Tbonejonez

Hello,

First time poster. Been in the aquarium hobby for about 4+ years now. Started with a Betta bowl, and worked my way up to a 45g freshwater planted tank that I had running for over 2 years. 

Now I'm moving on to brackish, and as it's my first time with salt I'd figure go big with a 90g. My tank has been established for little over a month now with 1 Indian Mud Moray Eel so far, and another two in quarantine. My salinity likes to sit about 1.012 so far. The eel in the 90g has been eating for about two weeks now, and I just got the other two today with one eating right away. 

So my question is if anyone has any experience keeping Indian Mud Morays, and if so can you offer any tips or advice to keep long-term. I have read they can live up to 10-30 years so I want to go for the long haul. I also want to simulate their environment as much as I can with salinity changes due to tides and such. 

I am also willing to answer any questions. 

Thanks,

Tbonejonez

IMG_20220309_113200.jpg

Edited by Tbonejonez
Added picture

On 3/18/2022 at 8:31 PM, Knuckledragger said:

Very cool! I am not familiar with these guys, but had a beautiful snowflake eel in college. Good luck and I will be interested in developments.

Yea these guys are commonly referred to as "freshwater" snowflake eel, but they are brackish to marine. I like using Indian Mud Moray so they don't get confused with the Marine Snowflake Eel.

I’m assuming that is gymnothorax tile? If so I’ve kept them on multiple occasions, awesome fish! Glad to see your using sand, they are super voracious eaters and I had one die from ingesting gravel. Only advice I have is choose your tank mates carefully, they can eat surprisingly large fish. Bigger scats, monos, archers, datnoides/coius would all be good tankmates. 

other common “brackish” fish such as needle nose gar, mudskippers, butis butis, larger gudgeons, etc. would likely get eaten. Had a 12” gar get bitten in half by one of these morays about a decade ago.

have fun and keep us posted with pictures!

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2022 at 6:06 PM, badguitarist said:

I’m assuming that is gymnothorax tile? If so I’ve kept them on multiple occasions, awesome fish! Glad to see your using sand, they are super voracious eaters and I had one die from ingesting gravel. Only advice I have is choose your tank mates carefully, they can eat surprisingly large fish. Bigger scats, monos, archers, datnoides/coius would all be good tankmates. 

other common “brackish” fish such as needle nose gar, mudskippers, butis butis, larger gudgeons, etc. would likely get eaten. Had a 12” gar get bitten in half by one of these morays about a decade ago.

have fun and keep us posted with pictures!

Thank you for the advice, and yes they are Gymnothorax tile. I have been trying to figure if I was gonna keep it a species only, or add some tank mates. So I appreciate the info on that. Mine are also veracious eaters eating almost daily or every other day. They are still under 12-15 inches. I figured I might go full marine once they reach adulthood, but just another idea.