Mixed reef questions

islandVib3s

Hey everyone!

Just wondering those with LPS/SPS/ tanks if you have any problems with them mixing in the same nutrient levels, I just got a bunch of SPS and I want to really start growing them out but im aware that sps requires cleaner water opposed to LPS/softies preferring dirtier water. If you've got success please share you PHOS and NITRATE levels. And any input is welcomed. I have a 75g w/40b sump diy algaescrubber,Oct int skimmer,soon to be added modified kalk reactor, ato and about another 40-55# of live dry rock.20220315_161633.jpg20220315_161720.jpg

PXL_20220316_131118689.jpgI keep favias, gonioporas, pectinias, chalices, lobos, etc along with my SPS. All of those SPS you got from me came from a mixed reef system. Here's my reef under royal blues.

I shoot for nitrates of 8-15 and phosphate of .08-15. When I keep things in that range, everything thrives.

I actually dose Neonitro to keep my nitrates up and I use Rowaphos to keep my phosphate down.

• Thanks 1

It’s truly amazing how adaptable corals are, they’re able to take on much higher par than generally recommended or much lower. What seems to really bug them is instability. As long as you keep your numbers stable to what they seem happy and healthy with you should be good.

that’s not to say don’t go too far outside of the recommended ranges, corals that like 75 to 150 par really will not do well under 1000 par, and vice versa. When it comes to the chemical composition of the water you’re using, they are incredibly hardy creatures that just love stability.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lexinverts said:

PXL_20220316_131118689.jpgI keep favias, gonioporas, pectinias, chalices, lobos, etc along with my SPS. All of those SPS you got from me came from a mixed reef system. Here's my reef under royal blues.

I shoot for nitrates of 8-15 and phosphate of .08-15. When I keep things in that range, everything thrives.

I actually dose Neonitro to keep my nitrates up and I use Rowaphos to keep my phosphate down.

This is perfect, I just wanted a range to aim for and thats definitely what I got. Thanks again! 

38 minutes ago, Parzifal said:

It’s truly amazing how adaptable corals are, they’re able to take on much higher par than generally recommended or much lower. What seems to really bug them is instability. As long as you keep your numbers stable to what they seem happy and healthy with you should be good.

that’s not to say don’t go too far outside of the recommended ranges, corals that like 75 to 150 par really will not do well under 1000 par, and vice versa. When it comes to the chemical composition of the water you’re using, they are incredibly hardy creatures that just love stability.

Stability is definitely important, thats why im adding a little more tech to keep things stable,will also make the switch later down the road to all for reef when I use up my fusion 1/2 . After I add this final rock into the system and secure some corals it should finally be time to just sit back and enjoy the growth.