Diy pressurized kalk reactor..any thoughts?

islandVib3s

So I have a broken carbon reactor that in going to modify into a kalk sealed reactor with a magnetic pill stirrer on the bottom.i plan to run my ato into the kalk reactor, forcing a potent stir of kalk and rodi. Whats your thoughts? I havent figured the potency just yet. Siphon break in ato container. Im just worried ill prematurely wear out my ato pump so I plan to have 2 separate containers for ato/kalk..lines will be 1/4 ro hard lines. Stirring every hr for about 5 mins..im chopping the reactor where the welded barbs are and re welding to the cap and base.20220314_010412.jpgScreenshot_20220314-005735_Samsung Notes.jpg

I've got effectively the same setup, except it uses an external eheim pump for stirring instead of a magnetic stirrer.   You could do the same, without any chopping.

Just plumb an eheim drawing from the bottom barb, returning to the top barb.  inside the reactor, just attach an elbow to the top barb pointing down and a length of pipe so the outlet is near the white plate at the bottom.     

FYI, eheim, eheim, eheim.  Originally, I used power heads plumbed externally.  replaced often.  Then replumbed with another brand of external pump, replaced at least yearly.   Replumbed in a small eheim - and bingo.  I haven't replaced it in ~10 years.   

4 hours ago, Bicyclebill said:

Just run it like a calcium reactor without the PH probe, though adding kalk and keeping it consistent sounds like way more work than it's worth. Why not go with calcium reactor and keep it simple? 

My input was to plumb the recirc pump like a Ca Reactor (with a little extra internal plumbing).  But, still put it on a timer to stir a couple of times a day.  Not Continuously.

Lol well I'm a mad scientist lol. I've never had a kalk reactor before,I also didn't really research it till now. So my idea is pretty much how they're designed lol. The reactor doesn't have a pump that would've fit and didn't feel like im ready to deal with getting more tech then I have currently.  Kinda simple.  But I have already Chopped it up. Currently acrylic welding and pictures will be up soon. I mainly just run diy algaescrubber, sump,hand dose fusion 1/2. And currently just a table spoon of kalk into my ato. I just keep seeing alot of build up kalk on the pump so I can't afford to keep replacing stuff so im just making something out of it instead of taking up space.  Adding the recirculating pump isn't a bad idea, but I would still need a pump,then try to get the correct fittings and was worried it would create enough pressure to force a dose of kalk when its not wanted. I already had the stirrer,1/4 fittings, ro line,weld on 4 and 16 so im taking this approach lol thx for everyone's input. Lol I was really clueless but now have a pretty solid idea and hopefully it works

18 hours ago, obrien.david.j said:

Well since you already had the stirrer... that makes it easy.   Looking forward to seeing pictures, post re-assembly.

Its pretty much done. Weld on16 curing.  Its not pretty but im sure it'll do what I need it to lol. Still not sure if I want to use the little inspection tube, or even use it for the mixed side or rodi side. I think if I use it on the mixed side it may clog, but if I use it on the rodi side I can see its getting the supply.  Lol or just do away with it. 🤔🤷‍♂️20220314_010412.jpgBEFORE.20220315_160152.jpgAFTER.

• Like 1