DIY reef rock

islandVib3s

Hey I was wondering if any has any experience in making there own reef rock. I know its a mix of argonite sand/crushed coral/fine sand, rock salts and Portland cement.  My question is which brand Portland cement? I know there's a long cure time till the ph stabilizes. Im thinking of making branch rock. Thanks in advance for any input.

3 hours ago, islandVib3s said:

Hey I was wondering if any has any experience in making there own reef rock. I know its a mix of argonite sand/crushed coral/fine sand, rock salts and Portland cement.  My question is which brand Portland cement? I know there's a long cure time till the ph stabilizes. Im thinking of making branch rock. Thanks in advance for any input.

@Gumbymade a bunch 

• Thanks 1

Tried it once, looked like grey oatmeal piles…not a fan 😂! Sometimes you just can’t beat the “real” stuff (real or mined that is!). Didn’t seem to get as porous as one would hope despite the rock salt.

I remember reading someone’s concern about the cement leaching something but never found out for sure what that could be, I know it has been done successfully so would worry too much about it.

2 hours ago, Blue Z Reef said:

Tried it once, looked like grey oatmeal piles…not a fan 😂! Sometimes you just can’t beat the “real” stuff (real or mined that is!). Didn’t seem to get as porous as one would hope despite the rock salt.

I remember reading someone’s concern about the cement leaching something but never found out for sure what that could be, I know it has been done successfully so would worry too much about it.

Lol yea ive been watching a few YouTubes on it and alot turned out great. I think there just a few tricks that need to be incorporated.  Like after making the imprint line it with different salt sizes to make the outside porous,and mixing in the salt last into the cement lol. I figured it couldn't look that bad if they were branches. Only thing I've found is problems if you dont cure it for a long time,ph problems. But I can't figure out which cement yet. They say Portland cement but there's so many brands. Imma try it sooner or later.