Reef Delete!

obrien.david.j

Pulled the trigger, bought a Reef Delete!  It works as described in Mr. Saltwater overview video.

I zapped a few misc aptasia.  You need to apply it for ~1minute.  They clearly retract.  I even came back and re-did a couple.

My main use is for cleanup of Aptasia that show up after the Shrimp Fest of Death.   And for a few other misc items I'd like to kill in the future.  A fun do one or two or three toy.  Not to clean up a whole tanks worth!

502b429d-5aec-6533-6eb6-8ee7f828b7b1.jpg

[VIDEO] REEF DELETE UV Aiptasia  / Algae Killer - Mr Saltwater Tank - Raw, Uncut, and First Impressions

I zapped This specific one.

IMG_4246.jpg

IMG_4241.jpg

IMG_4242.jpg

IMG_4244.jpg

IMG_4247.jpg

IMG_4248.jpg

• Like 2

So the marketing material is very vague.  Is it basically just a laser?  If so, what wavelength is "UV-C", and how many watts?  

My aiptasia laser is 450nm (blue) and runs at 4000 mW.  It kills things within about 10 seconds of direct exposure, and the battery lasts about 5-10 minutes of continuous use.  But the main problem is that it requires direct line of sight, so probably about 75% of aiptasia or other pests are inaccessible in a typical tank.  While I found it fun and gratifying to zap the pests (you even hear it crackling as the target burns up underwater), it was definitely not a cure.  I finally had 100% success using a combination of berghia, peppermint shrimp, and a voracious file fish. 

image.png

• Like 1

I saw the laser option.   And the implications of a laser reflection out of the tank didn't excite me.  

Reef Delete is not a laser, one drawback is you can't see it.    They give you a plastic test card which enables you to see the results, and get a feel for beam width and distance.    Wattage isn't documented.   It takes ~1min per aptasia, and they're not destroyed.   Just visibly harmed, need to repeat another day/time.    

Direct line of sight is required.   And a couple retracted out of sight, thus couldn't finish them off.   

I didn't get it to "solve" my problems.   I got it as another tool in the toolbox.   Peppermint shrimp are my current bulk consumer.  F-Aptasia can cover 2-3 "right side up" Aptasia.  This can beam upside down aptasia.   Plus I've got a couple of clove polyps in misc places I want to blast.   Your laser may just be too strong for that.   Or too focused.  Like a pressure washer with that really narrow tip.     Reef Delete isn't that focused.  hold it closer, you get ~1/8", pull back and it can widen to ~3/4".   And  assume less intensity.

• Like 2

Updated impressions from SaltwaterAquarium.com.   Basic repeat of last time.    This isn't SunCrestReef's 4W laser.  Must use multiple times, over multiple days to finish zapping.

View this email in your browser
1e7f05d2-ba45-82ab-6f82-15774c6d0932.jpg

[VIDEO] SECOND LOOK - Reef Delete UV Aiptasia  Killer - Mr Saltwater Tank - Raw, Uncut, and First Impressions

10 hours ago, Saltfishlover said:

Will either these whack a banded coral shrimp?   Im asking for a friend.  

Only if the shrimp will stay in one place multiple minutes.  Otherwise, as soon as it realize it's getting sunburnt, I expect it will move out of range.  You need to be ~1" from it.

8 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Are you impressed with it? Scott and i were thinking about going halvsies on one. 

Impressed is too strong a word.   It takes work, it takes time, it's another tool.   Watch the 2nd Mr Saltwater video.   His answer is ~2minutes, twice a day, for three days - per aptasia.    This is not a volume killer.   But I'm still happy I have it as a cleanup item.