Soaking to kill off Aiptasia?

John Vinson

I had a bunch of aiptasia in the overflow area growing on a filter sponge, and I'm wondering what's the best way to kill them all off before putting it back in the tank.  My first thought is to soak in some hydrogen peroxide for a few hours, but if there's a better option, I'm all ears! :)  thanks

1 hour ago, John Vinson said:

I didn't think to heat it up.....did you do a 50/50 water/peroxide mix?  Thanks again!

Usually the boiled water will do the trick but I Usually fill a coffee cup up 3/4 rodi ,microwave. Then add peroxide. Sometimes i add lemon or lime,or aptasia x also to it.trick is to apply while it hot.most of the time in inject it

25 minutes ago, islandVib3s said:

Usually the boiled water will do the trick but I Usually fill a coffee cup up 3/4 rodi ,microwave. Then add peroxide. Sometimes i add lemon or lime,or aptasia x also to it.trick is to apply while it hot.most of the time in inject it

I'm not trying to inject them....I've had the sponge drying outside of the tank, so I want to kill off anything that might be left over (spores?) before putting it back in the tank

12 hours ago, John Vinson said:

10 parts water to 1 bleach?  That may be the way to go....I want to kill any chance of them surviving on the sponge

yes, more water than bleach.  And It's a guestimate, I fill a container with water and add a "pour" of bleach.  (not a capful, a pour)   

My idea behind bleach is to oxidize/sterilize the bio junk left on the <sponge, in your case>.    A quick wikipedia read just taught me that hydrogen peroxide, specifically the peroxide, does the same.  Except bleach costs <$10 for a gallon at costco, and the high quality (>10% H.Peroxide) isn't as convenient nor cheap for me to pick up.    The $2 brown bottle H.Peroxide I can easily get at the drug store is <1/2 gallon, and is the weak 3% stuff.  Slow and wimpy.   

Simply stated, Bleach gets the job done for me, every time.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bleach