Plate coral advice?

Bevo5

I picked up this plate coral about 6 weeks ago. It spent a month in my invert QT and was gigantic and full of flowing tentacles. The lighting in that tank is really not great - just a standard biocube LED set up, and the coral was always completely open. I'm not sure if that's a good sign or it was starving for light.

Regardless - I moved it to my DT about a week ago and it just will not open at all. In fact, it's starting to show some clear tissue recession and I'm getting a little worried. I've fed it twice, and it eats a ton, but won't open.

It's on my sand bed, about 30 inches down from XR30's. I've put it in slightly more light and slightly less light - but it's just regressing.

Any tips? At this point I'm starting to worry it's just going to die.

IMG_5454.jpeg

Yeah that's the weird thing - the parameters are pretty dang close and I acclimated it for a bit. It's not a major shift in anything, but I'll test it all again and maybe see something sticking out. 

THe flow is really pretty mild where it is. Dead center of tank and not a lot of swirl or anything.

8 hours ago, Bevo5 said:

I picked up this plate coral about 6 weeks ago. It spent a month in my invert QT and was gigantic and full of flowing tentacles. The lighting in that tank is really not great - just a standard biocube LED set up, and the coral was always completely open. I'm not sure if that's a good sign or it was starving for light.

Regardless - I moved it to my DT about a week ago and it just will not open at all. In fact, it's starting to show some clear tissue recession and I'm getting a little worried. I've fed it twice, and it eats a ton, but won't open.

It's on my sand bed, about 30 inches down from XR30's. I've put it in slightly more light and slightly less light - but it's just regressing.

Any tips? At this point I'm starting to worry it's just going to die.

IMG_5454.jpeg

Is anything messing with it. 

Hey jeff - that was my thought as well. I've sat and watched the tank for a good long time and haven't seen anything. I had that majestic eating acans, but it was pretty consistent and easy to spot. But maybe something is sneaking in a pinch here/there? I just haven't seen it.

I did a full test run on both tanks and the only real difference was the nitrates. They're higher in the display (6.0 vs 21) because I'm finishing off some dinos. But everything else was consistent.

If I feed it, it'll open and eat. But the tissue around the mouth is definitely starting to peel away slightly and zero tentacle extension. 

Maybe I give it a day or two then move it back to it's beloved QT? Dunno.

14 hours ago, Bevo5 said:

Hey jeff - that was my thought as well. I've sat and watched the tank for a good long time and haven't seen anything. I had that majestic eating acans, but it was pretty consistent and easy to spot. But maybe something is sneaking in a pinch here/there? I just haven't seen it.

I did a full test run on both tanks and the only real difference was the nitrates. They're higher in the display (6.0 vs 21) because I'm finishing off some dinos. But everything else was consistent.

If I feed it, it'll open and eat. But the tissue around the mouth is definitely starting to peel away slightly and zero tentacle extension. 

Maybe I give it a day or two then move it back to it's beloved QT? Dunno.

Even a little nip can piss it off. I maybe would try and move it back. Plates can go bad quickly when the tissue gets disturbed. 

• Like 1

Update - I need to grab a photo but he's doing much better. Knock on wood. Way more open and fleshy and tentacles coming out. He's still not all the way back to being his huge self, but compared to the shrunken skeleton he was before...I'd say he's liking the QT.

I guess I'll have a really cool plate coral for sale in a few weeks, cause he sure did not like the display.

• Like 1