Thoughts on Hannah checkers

Yourmedic

Been awhile since I was in the marine game, last I was using the Saltwater test kit by API if I remember correctly. That being said, I know the hobby has advanced a lot since I was last keeping, mind you, it was fish only, and wanted to get some thoughts on if you prefer the chem test, Hannas, or something else. 

12 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

I'm currently testing via Apex, and Hanna daily.  I'm happy with these Hanna results.  Tests are straight forward.   I

Apex

• pH & Temp
  • Trident:  Ca, Alk, Mg

Hanna

• HI736 Phosphorus ULR 
  • HI782 Nitrate HR
  • HI705 Silica low range (because I'm dosing for dinos)

I was thinking of getting the Apex/trident pack, but I don’t have a computer currently. You need a computer to set up and use that system, right?

2 hours ago, Yourmedic said:

I was thinking of getting the Apex/trident pack, but I don’t have a computer currently. You need a computer to set up and use that system, right?

The Apex can be monitored & controlled from any smartphone (iOS or Android), PC or Mac.  At a minimum, it can be controlled & monitored with no smartphone or computer by using the optional Apex Display module (a small LCD screen with push buttons to navigate its menu structure).

• Thanks 1

Hanna checkers are highly regarded in general, particularly the alkalinity and phosphate series.  But I do think it depends the particular checker.  Their calcium checker (which I have) is prone to high sample to sample variability because the sample volume is so small (only 0.1 ml). This magnifies slight differences in the actual volume collected, resulting in high measurement error.  Higher sample volumes are more robust to small errors of this type.  There are good reviews out there for the particular test you are interested in.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Lifer said:

prone to high sample to sample variability because the sample volume is so small (only 0.1 ml)

I tried to use one of the inexpensive auto pipettes from Amazon to get the same 0.1 ml every time, but the $40 version was less accurate than using the syringe in the kit.

53 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

The Apex can be monitored & controlled from any smartphone (iOS or Android), PC or Mac.  At a minimum, it can be controlled & monitored with no smartphone or computer by using the optional Apex Display module (a small LCD screen with push buttons to navigate its menu structure).

I think I’m going to be on the lookout for an Apex/trident system! 

12 minutes ago, Yourmedic said:

I think I’m going to be on the lookout for an Apex/trident system! 

Just be aware, if you want the Trident, it is not compatible with the Apex Classic or older models.  The Trident requires the current model Apex 2016 or Apex-EL.  See my Apex Hardware Overview article for details on all the available Apex modules:

Apex: Apex-EL:

Bottom-View-w-callouts.jpg

APEX_el_IMG_2170_callouts_sm-1-600x431.jpg

https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/apex-hardware-overview.775/

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, shaywood said:

Question regarding the Hanna Nitrate testers. I'd read the ULR unit is not reliable, but the HR unit is good. Thoughts?  My Nitrate is usually less than 5, so would the HR unit work?

You'll have to check the range of each, And decide how accurate you need to be.  I'm using the HR HI782 Nitrate tester, and am happy with the amount of time and effort it takes to use the tester.   I bought the ULR model the week it was available.  While it was shipping, the video's on what it takes to perform a test came out.  Got the unit, read the instructions, Haven't Used it Once.    There's a lot more steps, and I don't feel I needed it.   Actually, felt I want my nitrates 5+ and so stopped even considering using the ULR tester.  It's still new, unused.  (make me an offer, if you want it.)

Right now, my nitrates are running in the 15-16 range, pretty consistently.

Based on lots of research and personal experience, these would be my go to checkers.  The are presented in what I feel is overall importance for keeping sps.  If you have more than $1k in livestock I would suggest a full apex and trident as well. 

Alk.. Hannah alk checker

Phos..  Hannah low range phos

Nitrate.. salifert 

calcium.. I used red sea.. but I really don't have an opinion. salifert also good. 

Mag.. just have the fish store do it once every couple months.

If you are dosing elements I would do a ICP test every 3 months with lots of corals, every 6-9 months with a reactor.  (or just add a little iron and manganese and iodine every week).  I am getting off topic LOL

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Nitrate.. salifert 

Why Salifert for Nitrate?   I find it granular and generally hard (for me) to read.   

Or maybe more specifically, why Salifert over the Hanna HI782?  May I tap into your learning please.

I started with Salifert, switched to HI782.   Here's my tracking chart for the overlap window.   

image.png

2 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

I found the salifert pretty easy and has enough resolution to measure higher and lower ratings.  And its cheap.  The reality is that the most current thinking on nitrate for SPS is that it really doesn't matter / keep it around 10 or higher.  My nitrates are 20-ish and my SPS have never been happier. 

Fair enough.  Easy, and even gross readings worked.  And cheap.

3 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Based on lots of research and personal experience, these would be my go to checkers.  The are presented in what I feel is overall importance for keeping sps.  If you have more than $1k in livestock I would suggest a full apex and trident as well. 

Alk.. Hannah alk checker

Phos..  Hannah low range phos

Nitrate.. salifert 

calcium.. I used red sea.. but I really don't have an opinion. salifert also good. 

Mag.. just have the fish store do it once every couple months.

If you are dosing elements I would do a ICP test every 3 months with lots of corals, every 6-9 months with a reactor.  (or just add a little iron and manganese and iodine every week).  I am getting off topic LOL

Super helpful! I don’t have that amount in my tank…. yet! Still working on the build. With it being a 210, I fully expect to be house a good amount of coral. That being said, I think you and @SuncrestReef are right and I should go for the Apex/Trident system. There was one on the site for sale a bit ago and I was thinking of getting it, but for some reason thought I had to have a computer. Now I know I can use my smartphone, I’ll keep my eyes open for the next one available.