Any local custom sump makers?

OregonGrownReef

You are going to play good coin to get a sump built by either of those folks.  Most builders (both of us) don't mess with different colored plastics.  I don't have any in the shop and I don't recall seeing any at James's place either but I have only been there twice.  Most people want this super pimp custom sump with all these strange pathways and configurations but the reality is that those are REALLY difficult to construct.  Acrylic is not like wood, bubble free seams take an amazing amount of precision.  

there is a builder in seattle as well. 

• Like 1

It's not a super crazy design! Lol. I just want it to have an integrated filter roller, a chamber for a skimmer, and a large chamber for some rock. I won't be running a fuge on this tank as I believe all I need is good mechanical filtration as well as gfo, carbon and water changes. I guess it gets a little crazier when I start asking for integrated murlock dosing slots and probe holders, heater holders, etc...in red and white with clear viewing panels on the front and sides outlined in white...okay I see what you mean...

I decided that it was important to have a nice looking sump so that I could impress the ladies.  I wanted something with multiple colors and some kind of fluorescent trim.  You ever see birds of paradise that clean up there nests by removing all the leaves and sticks and then dance around flashing their bright colors?  That was essentially what I wanted to do with my sump.  It was a solid plan.  I ended up with three of these chained together with 4" PVC and uniseals. 

rubbermaid.jpg.240b412c7b90eb36a4922b8f891fffc7.jpg

Edited by pdxmonkeyboy
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

I decided that it was important to have a nice looking sump so that I could impress the ladies.  I wanted something with multiple colors and some kind of fluorescent trim.  You ever see birds of paradise that clean up there nests by removing all the leaves and sticks and then dance around flashing their bright colors?  That was essentially what I wanted to do with my sump.  It was a solid plan.  I ended up with three of these chained together with 4" PVC and uniseals. 

rubbermaid.jpg.240b412c7b90eb36a4922b8f891fffc7.jpg

Why waste your money on a tank at all and just put your fish and coral in one of these? Seems ridiculous to have something that makes it so it's appealing to the eyes when a simple stock tank will suffice growing coral and raising fish...in a hobby where 95% of the point is visual aspect of it. 

"Why buy a Corvette when a Sentra gets you to the same destination?" 

I've got a guy who can build what I want, I just wanted to know if anyone local could do the same. Thanks for your unhelpful advice on what to buy though! 

Edited by OregonGrownReef
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

Thanks for having absolutely no sense of humor. 

There is a reason that your main tank is referred to as a display tank.  When it comes to sumps I prefer function over form. 

I don't race my corvette with the hood open...  

It seems you don't like your sense of taste being made fun of. Ironic. Have a great day. 

• Like 1

I come here for help and instead get this. At some point he must have thought he was helping, but from what I can see he's only said that he doesn't do it, another guy doesn't, and there's an builder in Seattle, but no help on who. Then he sends a link to a random red and white sump that doesn't match what I was talking about and says he's helped, which was sent in satire in the first place. Then out of nowhere makes the "humorous" post, which isn't conveyed as humorous by someone that doesn't know him at all. You're a real manly man for calling someone a "cream puff" in private messages. Grow up. 

Screenshot_20220113-114419_Chrome.jpg

1 minute ago, Flash21 said:

Internet Bully Monkey is…he has nothing better to do, you will soon learn that from his rambling of non sense.  

I’d suggest look into

https://synergyreef.com/    Not local…or maybe just look at BRS as might get it faster? 

They make some really clean looking stuff. I wonder how it compares price wise to someone like Lifereef. I was going to have him make it for me originally and I still may, but it would be remiss of me if I didn't check around.

Thanks Flash for keeping things on track. Please stop with the unnecessary comments. The original poster was looking for help and advice. That’s what this site is for not to discourage people asking for help.

@wanareef was known to make sumps and I hear he is still around. If you want want a sump that is a work of art James form envisions is local too.  

Personally given what we spend on coral  and other equipment splurging on a custom made sump in my opinion isn’t that huge of an issue and the Rubbermaid tubs take up a lot of space.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Saltwater newbie said:

Try bashsea they make nice sumps also

I have a bashsea sump on another tank. It's loud and the 2nd panel separating the skimmer and return pumps is no longer sealed at the bottom, so water and detritus can go underneath. I don't think I'll be giving them my money anymore. I know they have probably done great sumps for some, but it left a bad taste in my mouth. 

So...i dont build for others, but i have done a few for myself.  If this is something you would like to take on as a DIY i could give some tips, maybe.  Its only as difficult as the type you want.  I did mine in a galss aquarium for the wife.  She picked the color and has two tanks going to one sump. 

The two holes on back left are inlet pipes from each tank.   Goes up and over the clear baffel then into the filter cup hole. From there under another baffle to the ref/skimmer/uv/liverock chamber then a filter floss baffle and to return.  

PXL_20210522_164855116.jpg

PXL_20210522_164801872.jpg

PXL_20210522_014508182.jpg

Edited by Saltfishlover
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...