Trying to keep ph up - running skimmer intake outside isn't helping?

GreenJeans

I assumed that running my skimmer intake line outside would solve my ph issues, but I still can't keep ph >8.1 unless I ALSO run a CO2 scrubber....and then I have to change the scrubber media out every 3 or 4 days?  This seems excessive, am I doing something wrong?  I'm surprised how quickly the CO2 media is getting depleted while pulling fresh air from outside.

You may have high co2 in your home, especially this time of year. You may want to get a CO2 air checker to test the air quality inside your aquarium room. If co2 is high then it is getting absorbed into the water at the surface. The more agitation at the surface, the faster it gets absorbed.

It would be nice for the club to buy one and then loan it out as needed :)

Edited by jtichenor

I just bought this one for $80. 

Home Air Quality Monitor- CO2 & Temp. Humidity Detector, Accurate NDIR Sensor, 400-5000 PPM, WiFi (2.4GHz) Connection, Rechargeable Battery, 2 Years Data Logger, Multiple Alarm, Indoor Car Office Use https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09215WDXC/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_379EA1AD2VAZ6NXP6V6E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I've been having the same issue and picked up a CO2 scrubber that I plan on setting up to recirculate (waiting on one last part).  In the meantime, I've been adding Kalkwasser to my ATO and it's slowly been bringing up the Ph as well.  Started out going from 7.3-7.5 to 7.65-7.85.  Only concern is it's also been ticking the Alkalinity up along with it (from 8.5 to 9) - not too concerned about it yet, as long as it stays stable.  We'll see how it settles once the CO2 scrubber is up and running....