Calcium reactor help

503reefdroid

So I've been using a small aquamaxx calcium reactor on my reefer 250 for 6 months or more. And for some weird reason when I test my water sometimes my dkh is right in the range I want it, other times it's super low. But my mag and calcium are high. I have my reactor flow rate at 2.50 ml/per min. I've tested what comes out of the reactor, dkh from the reactor is at 55dkh.

Can anyone help me understand why this happens? And is there a way to prevent it?

This is a bit vague…how much variance are we talking with your target dkh for the tank? Inconsistency in a CaRx can be from various things like inconsistent feed pump, CO2 regulator/controller, clogged lines, etc. Probably going to need to elaborate a bit for help.

Also, could this be a test kit issue? What are you using?

3 hours ago, Blue Z Reef said:

This is a bit vague…how much variance are we talking with your target dkh for the tank? Inconsistency in a CaRx can be from various things like inconsistent feed pump, CO2 regulator/controller, clogged lines, etc. Probably going to need to elaborate a bit for help.

Also, could this be a test kit issue? What are you using?

2 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

We can help, but indeed we need to know the specifics.  Properly set up, your calrx should be totally accurate and alk and cal will stay constant. 

Don't worry about mag.do you have mag chips in your reactor? 

I'm trying to keep my dkh at 8. I've seen it as low as 6.6dkh. My test kits are new, I use Hanna checker for dkh and salifert for calcium. My feed pump is a versa dosing pump set for continuous dosing. The reactor ph is 6.3 and I'm using the arm media, no mag chips. 

3 hours ago, KH1985 said:

I'm trying to keep my dkh at 8. I've seen it as low as 6.6dkh. My test kits are new, I use Hanna checker for dkh and salifert for calcium. My feed pump is a versa dosing pump set for continuous dosing. The reactor ph is 6.3 and I'm using the arm media, no mag chips. 

Ok For me you just said what we needed to hear. That Versa pump is far from being a reliable constant feed pump. I experienced the same issue when I used one for feeding a GEO calcium rakes reactor my alk was all over the place like you are talking about 

I would have to agree with brian.  What you need is a continous duty pump.  This has worked flawless for me for 2 years.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Precision-Peristaltic-Pump-Aquarium-Calcium-Reactor-Circulation-8W-WIFI-/393388929905?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

You also didn't mention what you are controlling your reactor PH with.  I tried for a week to find the sweet spot with bubbles and pressure (using the hella expensive electric co2 doser).  Finally just set the co2 from 6.7-6.8 on the apex and let it ride.  

12 minutes ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

I would have to agree with brian.  What you need is a continous duty pump.  This has worked flawless for me for 2 years.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Precision-Peristaltic-Pump-Aquarium-Calcium-Reactor-Circulation-8W-WIFI-/393388929905?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

You also didn't mention what you are controlling your reactor PH with.  I tried for a week to find the sweet spot with bubbles and pressure (using the hella expensive electric co2 doser).  Finally just set the co2 from 6.7-6.8 on the apex and let it ride.  

Do you trust that seller of the one you linked? 

That is a really low price for a kamoer but with ebay you are pretty protected.  You have to know that many of these production facilities in china sell "grey market" copies..meaning they sell the product they are building out the back door so to speak. 

I don't have (nor do i want) the wifi edition of the kamoer but the og one has been great. 

I used that versa pump you have for a year or two on my Ca reactor and had good luck with it. Ecotech advertises it as continuous duty and suited for a reactor. The tubes need to be replaced frequently. Have to calibrated it lately? If unsure about how accurately it’s dosing, you can periodically check the flow rate with a graduated cylinder. Mine was always spot on unless the tube was worn but they last for a few months at least at a moderate dosing rate. I agree the kamoer is a more heavy duty pump but this may not be your issue. Like Brian said, how are you regulating pH?

14 hours ago, Willapa said:

I used that versa pump you have for a year or two on my Ca reactor and had good luck with it. Ecotech advertises it as continuous duty and suited for a reactor. The tubes need to be replaced frequently. Have to calibrated it lately? If unsure about how accurately it’s dosing, you can periodically check the flow rate with a graduated cylinder. Mine was always spot on unless the tube was worn but they last for a few months at least at a moderate dosing rate. I agree the kamoer is a more heavy duty pump but this may not be your issue. Like Brian said, how are you regulating pH?

I use this for the reactor. And I have ghl watching the tank ph

20220103_110320.jpg

20220103_110326.jpg

Any updates?  One thing i do every y months is calibrtae my ph probes.   They also dont last long. About 18 months is pretty good.  After that they start drifting. Typically they only drift in a single direction though so that wouldn't cause fluctuations. 

In these situations it comes down to what you trust.  Because you have a fluctuating calicum to alk ratio and that is pretty much impossible with a CalRX, i am going to put your testing skills near the bottom of rhe list.  

The problem HAS to be one of the following:

1. Unprecise testing 

2. Fluctuating effluent rate. 

3. Fluctuating effluent concentration. 

4. Rapidly changing ALK consumption. 

I say investigate 1 and 2.