Re cycling my nano

islandVib3s

So I decided to re cycle my nano tank and do aquascape in the process.  I ended up overdosing pure ammonia about a week ago. Tested 2 days ago and was 8ppm.tested today and it was .5 ppm. My question is should I dose vinegar atm to help boost the bacteria? Or just ride it out till its zero? I've been dosing LRE,phyto(nanno and tetra) also I put some fritz9 

Dosing vinegar may remove ammonia but would compete with nitrification, not promote it. The bacteria promoted by carbon dosing are different ones than the bacteria (and Archaea) that conduct nitrification. Since your ammonia is already nice and low (I like to cycle with 0.5 - 1) I'd just leave it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So I've gone through all the spikes of cycling. Now its at the nitrate spike. Should I wait it out or do a water change? Lol there so much info saying do the water change and alot saying to wait it out. I just don't want to have to restart it again this time around

I see no reason to wait it out at that stage - water change and you're ready to go. Whats the reasoning for waiting it out I wonder? 

If you have ammonia oxidization and nitrite oxidation you're set (in terms of keeping fish happy). If you'd like to be extra sure you can always add another spike of ammonia - got to 1, then make sure the ammonia and nitrite spikes go away within 24 hours. 

8 hours ago, EMeyer said:

I see no reason to wait it out at that stage - water change and you're ready to go. Whats the reasoning for waiting it out I wonder? 

If you have ammonia oxidization and nitrite oxidation you're set (in terms of keeping fish happy). If you'd like to be extra sure you can always add another spike of ammonia - got to 1, then make sure the ammonia and nitrite spikes go away within 24 hours. 

Well I know you want the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to spike.but I wasn't sure if I do a water change now that I've reached a spike of nitrate. I've read that the nitrates will evap from gas exchange but wasn't sure if I could just water change it out and start adding life to it. Lol I just want confirmation im doing it right. I just dosed some ammonia last night to bring it back the ammonia and make sure its processed. Testing it later and if ammonia is gone ill do a water change. Its roughly a 30 gallon system. 28jbj and 5.5ga sump. I already put some gsp frags in last night before I re added ammonia to help lmk if things are ok for corals. Its fishless and had no corals until the gsp I added. I plan to have mostly zoas,mushies,LPS,softies in it. Thx for any input. Just want to make sure its cycled right because most of my other tanks were rushed and stocked in 24-72hrs and just used bottled bacteria. This is my first time i cycled with ammonia and waited for the spikes. 

• Like 1

Up and running again! I did a last minute upgrade while doing waterchange. Switched to the 10ga sump instead of the 5.5...jbj door had to come off but I think its better. Did a 75%water change and added seachem prime .put in some decent tester corals. Bi color duncans, highlighter torch(morphing into gold tips) AOG zoas,mushies. Will add more in corals in a few days. Still no live stock atm,but will get some cuc,cut, also still have those damsels so they might go in.20211029_201220.jpg