Best skimmer for heavy bio load

Space and location are huge factors.  

are you looking for an external or internal?

is this going under a tank?  If so what is the clearance.  

there’s no limit to skinners you can get, seems clearance height is the limiting factor for most.  If clearance isn’t an issue an etss works amazingly well!

• Thanks 1

That is like asking "I'm looking for a vehicle that can carry a lot or a small amount of people".

Dialing in a skimmer to work as effectively as possible for a given bio load is something that takes time. An adjustable DC pump skimmer can be a big help. The most adjustable skimmers are Recirculating DC pump varieties. However, these come with a large footprint and cost. It's almost always a compromise of space and cost with the most common brands.  If you stick with a common brand and stay within the recommended specs, you should be able to dial it in with your bio load. Don't go too big thinking you'll have headroom. This just makes a very inefficient skimmer. Stick within the mfg rating for water volume for each model.

This is a great article: The best way to tune your Protein Skimmer: Learn how in just 5-minutes! - Bulk Reef Supply

Edited by jtichenor
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Allthingscoral said:

Awesome so my tank is a 250 gallon lagoon it will be a internal skimmer  Preferable don't mind to much price wise just the best is key for me as far as space I'm looking for small foot on the skimmer and yes this skimmer will be under my tank here is a picture of my tank 

16319284674155560234805024990070.jpg

Nice that’s an awesome tank! I would say if we could see the place where the actual skimmer would go and even better the max footprint of the space for it that would be most helpful now that people know the tank size. I use bubble magus skimmers specifically the curves because they are budget friendly and the footprint on them is very reasonable👍🏻 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Allthingscoral said:

Can I run a skimmer that's rated for 500 gallon on 250 gallon ?

Bubble  king  is that a good skimmer any one had an experience with this brand octo I have on other tanks  just  not this big 

You can but after running a huge skimmer on my RS750 I think its over kill....... Bubble King is a good brand but for me I think ATB is one of the best I have run over the years........ its been a while since I had one but it pulled so much [language filter] out I couldnt believe it........

• Thanks 1

I'm a big fan of my Aquamaxx DFC-280. Highly recommend. Skimz makes good skimmers too, though their pumps are expensive and hard to find a replacement for. Both have features that Reef Octopus don't have that I have found to be better for tuning. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

you can put a giant skimmer in there... but people forget that if you oversize too much, it won't skim properly.  For the money, I think Reef Octopus is about as good as it gets.  You can get waaaay more expensive skimmers with tons of bells and whistles..  save your money where you need it.  Like back up pumps, generator, coral. 

• Like 2

@Allthingscoral hey bud whats the dimensions of your tank and sump? I'm trying to get a better idea of what your working with, the pictures are hard to judge but that tank doesn't look like it would be 250gallons (i was measuring based on the tiles) and that sump looks really small for a 250 gallon,I'd be worried about flooding. Especially if the sump won't hold all the water coming from the display. The skimmer will hold more water volume but in the event of a power outage that will flow out also.ive only used octo skimmers and usually run them on a timer and generally 2x the size of the display tank.and they seem like they've been working well.