Removing zoas that are taking over.

juan

What would be the easiest, safest most effective way to remove all these zoas from this rock. I can’t really take the rock out of the tank since it’s pretty much at the base. Would I just be able to peel them off? 
The crappy part about this, is that I don’t even remember getting these 😪

image.jpg

20 minutes ago, juan said:

What would be the easiest, safest most effective way to remove all these zoas from this rock. I can’t really take the rock out of the tank since it’s pretty much at the base. Would I just be able to peel them off? 
The crappy part about this, is that I don’t even remember getting these 😪

image.jpg

Looks like Palythoas and zoanthids. Better to just replace the rock. Your going to have to remove the rock to be on the safe side to razor them off the rock so you don't get Palythoa poisoning. If you do it in tank the poison will be in the water column after cutting them and most likely get on your skin.remove the rock and glove up to avoid any problems. 

• Thanks 2

Agree while it’s a pain to take all the rock work out that’s going to be your best bet. 
1. No guarantee if you scrape the rock you will get all the palys and they grow like weeds.

2. Scraping them will cause them to slime and release toxin which can be bad for your other corals.

3. As others mention can be harmful to you if you scrape that amount of palys. 

I did this with some pallys and xenia.    I scraped them with a razor and removed while wearing gloves.  I added carbon and turned on my skimmer.   Then I used a pipette filled with lemon juice and very slowly injected whatever tissue remained.  They all melted away over a few days.  This was in a 20 gallon tank.  Some corals closed a bit for a short time, but everything eventually recovered.   Some pallys started growing back and just a scrape with razor a week later they were all gone.   Just for what it's worth 

• Thanks 1

On 9/11/2021 at 6:01 PM, Saltfishlover said:

I did this with some pallys and xenia.    I scraped them with a razor and removed while wearing gloves.  I added carbon and turned on my skimmer.   Then I used a pipette filled with lemon juice and very slowly injected whatever tissue remained.  They all melted away over a few days.  This was in a 20 gallon tank.  Some corals closed a bit for a short time, but everything eventually recovered.   Some pallys started growing back and just a scrape with razor a week later they were all gone.   Just for what it's worth 

Was it squeezed lemon juice? Or just bottled kind. I ended up replace the smaller rocks. But I’m left with about 8 polyps.