Tough Going down South - Start Planning your Winter Power Backup Solution

obrien.david.j

Noticed this post in facebook today, and found this article in USA Today.    Looks like our aquarium friends in New Orleans are in for a rough ride.   

Looks like I better start thinking of my Winter backup solution.   We didn't lose power last winter, but you never know what mother nature may bring this year.

Plan ahead folks!

(Side note, I've gotten a generator since last year, but planning to add a 12v battery based system directly into my MP40/MP60's as well.  It will bridge the gap if I'm out of town or can't get back to the house for a day.)

IMG_2198.PNG

IMG_2197.PNG

• Sad 1

This is my first year actually being prepared LOL

Mostly because we bought a camper this year so the wife was ok with the Champion Generator purchase.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Champion-Power-Equipment-4650-Watt-Remote-Start-Gasoline-RV-Ready-Inverter-Gas-Powered-Generator-with-Quiet-Technology-200993/315272388

I also have an Icecap battery backup for my gyres to run. The xf350 controller somehow knows the power is out and only runs one gyre to conserve power.

We also have natural gas fireplaces so I can manual light those if cold temps were an issue.

@markv you want an inverter generator, they are quieter than the contractor ones. If keeping the fish tank going is your only goal, a smaller 2000w one will be quiet and do the job just fine.

6 hours ago, markv said:

I need to buy a generator but I have to find a fairly quiet one because I'm in a townhouse and the HOA is very restrictive. Any ideas?

The Honda 2000 generator is one of the quietist available. That said, I don't think the HOA will care about the noise during a power outage. Your neighbors will most likely want to tap into that power source!

11 hours ago, jtichenor said:

The Honda 2000 generator is one of the quietist available. That said, I don't think the HOA will care about the noise during a power outage. Your neighbors will most likely want to tap into that power source!

Second this. After the ice storm knocked my power out and killed my system, I got prepared. I went out on a mission of emergency preparedness and came home with a generator, spare heaters, a chiller, everything that seemed helpful in an emergency really. I thought my neighbors would complain about the noise but I left the generator on my porch and left a note that the spare ports directly on the generator could be used to charge phones or other light energy usage items. The neighbors that came by were all really thankful.

When the heat wave hit and the chiller came out though, I learned the importance of buying quality equipment as well. So, definitely keep that in mind.

If you need something a bit more lowkey, there are lots of lithium ion generators available that can be used indoors to handle lower wattage demands. I own and recommend the Goal Zero Yeti line but there are other good brands out there as well (EcoFlow, Jackery, etc).