START TO FINISH - 75G NUVO EXT REEF TANK

GumdropDan

After two years, I'm finally back in the hobby again but with a bigger tank. Yes, 75 isn't that grand but with limited space, this is my best option. As most have told me, I'll quickly grow out of this tank. This is also my first time starting a thread to follow my build. Follow me on the set-up and progress of my 75 gallon reef tank. Research from books, blogs to YouTube has lead me to this point. I fully expect you all to challenge my process and help me learn from my mistakes! 

So far I have: 

• White Innovative Marine 75 gallon EXT reef ready tank
  • AQUAMAX BioPellet Reactor
  • NYOS TORQ Reactor
  • GYRO Flow Pump(RAFFLE PRIZE :) )
  • SENEYE Leak Detector 
  • RODI Filter(No more LFS visit for top off or saltwater) 
  • 2 Kessil lights 

Still have more to grab! Wish me luck guys, and if anyone has anything they want to part with, I'm open ears!

49A0CEB6-8716-41B3-9F06-E1E0595A9030_1_105_c.jpeg

Edited by GumdropDan
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2021 at 10:09 PM, Higher Thinking said:

Congrats on the build. That tank looks fantastic! What's the plan for the sump? 

Thank you! So I decided to go with a DIY on the sump. I’m using a 20g long, with a skimmer, GFO/Carbon reactor, bio pellet reactor, dual return lines, ATO, and I really want to fit a fuge in there but I may be pushing the limited space. 

REEFERS! UPDATE! LETS GO! - 

Ive finally got all my equipment which I’ll update you soon on. But here’s a project I’m working on now. My rock-scape.

Like any other reefer coming back into the hobby, I have learned from past mistakes. So after weeks of research and endless videos I’m ready to start my rockscape. I wasn’t quite sure what I wanted this time around but I know I wanted to do something different. I thought about bonsai style rockscape, floating rockscape, NSA rockscape, island rockscape, and even hang off cliff style. I really wanted a floating rockscape but all the reading and videos discouraged this scape for anything larger than 40 so I decided to try out a NSA rockscape.

For those unfamiliar, check out this video 
I just finished breaking all the larger rocks and once I get that done I’ll post my end result.

Wish me luck!17CEB255-A00D-4C03-8238-2442955B53B8.jpegAE19DC0A-7EFD-4720-BE05-8A7C9C4F7165.jpeg91D96CE1-7C58-42B2-B051-E84023B9E967.jpeg

• 1 year later...

UPDATE: 

Just thought I'd share an update on my journey. It took me a few years to get my tank wet, but it has finally happened.
My first gallon went in on April 7th, 2023. 

Here are some photos of my rockscape before it went into the tank. 

image.jpeg

IMG_3685.jpeg

My next step was to cycle this bad boy, I added beneficial bacteria, a few live rocks in my sump and a couple of clowns. Slowing adding some livestock and bought my first corals are the PDX Coral Market. I am so excited and I have already spent hours starring at my tank, I even moved my workspace to my living room so I have a nice view 😉

Here is my tank now, forgive the ugly. Im dealing with diatoms. Patience is rewarded my friends. At least that's what everyone at the LFS keeps telling me!

image.jpeg

IMG_7449 Medium.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by GumdropDan
  • Like 4