PVC leaks

sd45x

Thought I'd share, I spun up a second tank on my existing garage system recently, found some plumbing leaks. Read through a lot of forums and tried a few ideas (heat gun, flex seal, putty) but I used a technique I use in model making.

This is my solution, even under pressure while the tanks are running:

Drill a small hole (60 bit) through the first layer of PVC using a finger drill just above the leak

Get a small syringe and fill it with PVC solvent (be slow, the stuff is thick)

Put the needle in the hole and slowly inject the solvent, it doesn't mix with
water, will get pushed out and won't come back in the tank when there's pressure.

Do this 2-3 times in an hour and when the leak stops, the last injection is to plug the hole you drilled.

This worked great for me, LMK if you have any thoughts.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sd45x said:

Thought I'd share, I spun up a second tank on my existing garage system recently, found some plumbing leaks. Read through a lot of forums and tried a few ideas (heat gun, flex seal, putty) but I used a technique I use in model making.

Drill a small hole (60 bit) through the first layer of PVC using a finger drill just above the leak

water, will get pushed out and won't come back in the tank when there's pressure.

Do this 2-3 times in an hour and when the leak stops, the last injection is to plug the hole you drilled.

Lol that sounds like more of a pain then just cutting it and adding a union or valve.lol id get irritated with water dripping down on me while messing with it lol

I do have to say comments like that is why I miss the SCMAS group and moving back to SoCal.

This community should be about enlightenment and exchange of ideas, not belittling. This was a great solution for me and maybe someone will find the post and it helps them. 

I had a similar issue when I first set up my tank.  The 2” fittings on my UV sterilizer had small leaks, and there was no way to cut and replace the fittings without scrapping my whole manifold.

I used a shop vac to create suction inside the PVC pipes, then applied PVC cement on the outside of the leak area, and the suction drew the cement into the opening.  It only took about 10 minutes and worked great.

image.jpeg

• Like 5

9 hours ago, sd45x said:

I do have to say comments like that is why I miss the SCMAS group and moving back to SoCal.

This community should be about enlightenment and exchange of ideas, not belittling. This was a great solution for me and maybe someone will find the post and it helps them. 

Sorry I wasn't trying to belittle or hurt anyone's feelings I was just sharing my thoughts as you asked for, I miss socal also. I also forget that my biggest tank is only 65gallons and some of you deal with bigger bulkheads or plumbing. So parts may have to be special ordered.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, sd45x said:

This is a really creative solution, and I'm glad you shared.   This opened my eyes to this type of option, and I see the value.   Well done.

(If you have to do it again, post pictures.  :))

• Like 1

On 7/20/2021 at 6:53 AM, SuncrestReef said:

I had a similar issue when I first set up my tank.  The 2” fittings on my UV sterilizer had small leaks, and there was no way to cut and replace the fittings without scrapping my whole manifold.

I used a shop vac to create suction inside the PVC pipes, then applied PVC cement on the outside of the leak area, and the suction drew the cement into the opening.  It only took about 10 minutes and worked great.

image.jpeg

On the rare occasion when have to weld ABS to PVC, I'm always nervous about leaks like this. Got burned by a persistent leak very similar to this when I was an AQS student. Eventually replumbed the whole loop and chalked it up as a lesson learned. Your solution is pure genius: Physics for the win!

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 5:08 PM, sd45x said:

Love this, thanks for the share!