Bacteria in R/O container

6 hours ago, Saltfishlover said:

Is it possible to have bacteria grow in ro containers?  I only use a Rubbermaid container and nothing else goes in other than ro water I make.  I swear however, no matter how little I feed and how many water changes I do, I seem to get fast alge growth 

Whats your tds from your ro water? Don't have a deionizer to make it minimal tds? Also cover it and allow no light may help and a powerhead for flow. Hope that helps.

RODI water coming straight out of the RODI has bacteria in it already. Unless you're doing something to sterilize it, I'm sure there are bacteria in the RODI container too. 

I tested mine a while ago. Gotta admit I never got around to writing up the results, but no question about it, plenty of bacteria in the RODI. 

7 hours ago, Saltfishlover said:

Zero tds. It's 40 going in. So far thr only thing I've changed on it in a year has been the DI cartridge.   Is it possible the have bacteria in the water but still have zero tds?

Yes its definitely possible, maybe try adding a uv light, or dose a small amount of hydrogen peroxide. That should kill any bacteria or algae along with a good scrub 

Nitrate is 6, phosphate is .06

I just can't figure it out.  Lights only on 6 hours a day.  No direct sunlight.  I just did a 50% water change yesterday    I figure that will either help it or make it worse.  

I did end up scrubbing both salt and r/o holding containers too

If you are having some algae issues in your display tank with Nitrate 6 and Phosphate .06, you need to add herbivores to control it.

Those are good nutrient levels for a reef tank. If you lower your nutrients more than that, you will starve your corals.

As a wise reefer once said, "You don't have an algae problem, you have a herbivore problem." Try a foxface!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Saltfishlover said:

Nitrate is 6, phosphate is .06

I just can't figure it out.  Lights only on 6 hours a day.  No direct sunlight.  I just did a 50% water change yesterday    I figure that will either help it or make it worse.  

I did end up scrubbing both salt and r/o holding containers too

Like Lexinverts said algae is normal though we try to fight it. A good herbivore like a tang or fox face will help.  What lights are you running ? When I tried to turn up the whites on my nanobox I had an ikncreased growth of algae.

1 hour ago, Saltfishlover said:

I'm running two vipraspectra over my 90 gallon.  Will.a fox face get too big?

No it would be fine depending on how many fish you already have. They are great algae eaters but the one I had years ago started nipping my zoas. I don’t think on purpose but it killed a few frags. Some of the bristle tooth tangs also would work like the purple and Tomini . Is your tank relatively new ? Sometimes that’s just part of the process as the denitrifying bacteria population grows. I personally fill like after about a year is when the population starts building up and the tank stabilizes.