RODI ATO Automation

shaywood

Thought I would share a quick DIY for my auto top off.  I have an 11 gallon ATO that is gravity fed in the garage to the main sump/tank in the house.  I'm cautious, in that I never want more water in my ATO then the sump can handle.  Over the years I've heard about flooded living rooms!  I installed the pictured $9.00 110v 1/4 inch (NC) RODI solenoid which I plugged into a wifi controlled outlet.  Now I can set a schedule to allow the outlet to be on once a week and run for an hour to refill the ATO container.  The only other parts needed was an old power cord and two male disconnects.  Hope this helps others.

IMG_20210606_171843.jpg

IMG_20210606_171853.jpg

Screenshot_20210606-172103.jpg

Edited by shaywood

Hey that's pretty slick. I'll be honest, that looks exactly like the ones I got off of Amazon, both failed open. Apparently I didn't learn my lesson the first time and I ordered the same one again. Same result. The first one lasted a couple months and the second one was less than that. My sump ATO is plumbed directly to my RODI unit so the water supply is unlimited. However, I use a secondary float valve in the sump they connected to the water line. Both times they float valve saved me. 

Technically, if it failed on you it wouldn't be a huge problem since it's not responsible for allowing the extra water into your sump. You'd notice if it failed because your 11g bucket would be full when it shouldn't be. I guess that begs the question of whether you have a safety for your ATO unit or not. If not, your ATO container would be overflowing. 

Redundancy is always the key. I also have a float valve in the ATO container and sump. The seloniod normal state is closed, so hopefully if it fails it will be closed. Also, since I'm only running it once a week, hopefully it won't stop working for a while. I'll report back. 

8 hours ago, shaywood said:

Redundancy is always the key. I also have a float valve in the ATO container and sump. The seloniod normal state is closed, so hopefully if it fails it will be closed. Also, since I'm only running it once a week, hopefully it won't stop working for a while. I'll report back. 

Sounds good. But yeah, mine were both normally closed and they failed open. Doesn't sound like it'll be a big problem if that happens, though. You got a good point about it only opening once per week. Mine was opening and closing multiple times per hour.