Do you know the leading cause of death for children ages 1-4?

Anyone who knows me, knows that I'm not one that gets too caught up in over reacting to various fears and hysteria. What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger, right? 😉 I have to mentally work hard to not just shrug off a lot of common dangers. Not sure if I'm reckless or just really easy going. However, if there is something that is the LEADING cause of death amongst young children, I feel like I should probably take that seriously. 

Drowning. Not only is it the leading killer for young children, it is totally preventable. My little baby will be crawling around exploring soon and having an open sump water source seems more on the reckless side. So this is my solution to keep the kid from falling into the sump. 

I didn't want something that was dependent on me remembering to flip a lock. I'm far too forgetful for that. I wired a magnetic lock and programmed it through the Apex to open when I push the unlock button. It's a pretty simple setup. When I push the button, the lock disengages for 10 seconds and then re-energizes. So whenever I close the door, it automatically is locked. Simple, clean, and effective (assuming I close the doors when I'm done, of course). 

The locks are rated for like 400 pounds, but those little screws will rip out way before that. What it will do is prevent a curious little hand from managing to pull open the doors. 

20210604_223136.jpg

20210604_223145.jpg

20210604_223221.jpg

20210604_223231.jpg

20210604_223402.jpg

And here's a couple baby pictures, just because. 

20210529_145600.jpg

20210519_0953201_20210519_095350.jpg

• Like 5

That’s great that you are thinking about those things. Kids can drown in as much as a bucket of water. Also very wise of you to realize the more you can take relying on humans the better. To err truly is human. 

It’s so nice to see you so involved in her life too. Shiloh’s going to have a healthy self esteem for sure !🥰

• Like 1

Nice!!  Good call.  Aside from the drowning, all those cords are tempting to start playing with and she may think a bristle worm sounds like a good snack!

doors look great and the lock position is a good idea. She’s gonna love playing in there with you!

12 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

That’s great that you are thinking about those things. Kids can drown in as much as a bucket of water. Also very wise of you to realize the more you can take relying on humans the better. To err truly is human. 

It’s so nice to see you so involved in her life too. Shiloh’s going to have a healthy self esteem for sure !🥰

Thanks for the kind words!

59 minutes ago, Parzifal said:

Nice!!  Good call.  Aside from the drowning, all those cords are tempting to start playing with and she may think a bristle worm sounds like a good snack!

doors look great and the lock position is a good idea. She’s gonna love playing in there with you!

Exactly! Cords, water, so much good stuff to explore unsupervised! Thanks!

45 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

Excellent Apex integration technique!  Mind if I share this on a Neptune forum?  I'm sure you're not the only reefing parent out there that could benefit from this extra layer of security.

John posting my Apex moves on the Neptune forum?! That's like Connor McGregor asking to post my MMA videos on his ig account. 😆. By all means, thanks man!

And I'm sure you know, but I just used the universal 24v input to wire the magnetic lock and a breakout box for the bottom. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Higher Thinking said:

John posting my Apex moves on the Neptune forum?! That's like Connor McGregor asking to post my MMA videos on his ig account. 😆. By all means, thanks man!

And I'm sure you know, but I just used the universal 24v input to wire the magnetic lock and a breakout box for the bottom. 

Yes, I understand the configuration is pretty simple, but the overall concept is great and likely overlooked by a lot of people.

Can you post links to the magnetic lock and the push button you used?  I'm sure those would be the first questions people will ask.

• Like 1

Just now, SuncrestReef said:

Yes, I understand the configuration is pretty simple, but the overall concept is great and likely overlooked by a lot of people.

Can you post links to the magnetic lock and the push button you used?  I'm sure those would be the first questions people will ask.

Sounds good!

https://www.amazon.com/your-orders/pop/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_pop?_encoding=UTF8&gen=canonical&lineItemId=mjskosqtqisnwny&orderId=114-6755533-7202638&packageId=1&returnSummaryId=&returnUnitIndices=&returnUnitMappingId=&shipmentId=DWd73wc7f 

https://www.amazon.com/your-orders/pop/ref=ppx_yo_mob_b_pop?_encoding=UTF8&gen=canonical&lineItemId=mjpmlpqrtmnoqny&orderId=113-6648167-5287454&packageId=1&returnSummaryId=&returnUnitIndices=&returnUnitMappingId=&shipmentId=D7fPqBTyj

3 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

Ha!  Those links are to show the Amazon order history, so when I click them it shows me the most recent items I ordered, not the items you ordered.

Guess I'm an amateur with links. Here you go:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B086BLQ3NS?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08J2S4F16?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

2 hours ago, Higher Thinking said:

By the way, I was on a Neptune YouTube livestream video yesterday talking about my Apex.  One person commented that "Chuck Norris has a poster of SuncrestReef on his wall".  I thought that was hilarious!  🤣

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

Lots of Likes on the Facebook post!  One person brought up a good point:  what is the magnetic lock’s behavior if the power fails?  Does it unlock or remain locked?

I posted a response on FB. The lock needs power to engage. No power, no lock. 

• Like 1