rocks

Silvas

Awhile back I bought a used aquarium and a lot of stuff with it, most of which turned out to be broken, expired, or otherwise not usable.  Among it were 2 totes of old rock, some of it pretty nasty looking when I got it.  Enough to about half fill a 55 gallon plastic food grade barrel.  I've got it all soaking in bleach water with a pump for circulation for a few days or maybe a week, before I rinse it all off and soak it in RODI water with dechlorinator.  The goal being to see if I can reuse this rock before shelling out a few hundred on new rock for the tank that I want to setup (once I get a few more things, and find a bloody solid wood stand that will fit it)

In the pic is a few sample pieces of the various rock I have in there.  I'm curious what this rock is - it doesn't look manmade to me, but I'm very inexperienced so I don't know for sure.  Can anyone help me figure out what I have here?  Something dry mined like marco rock, or is it manmade and just looks like it does due to having previously been used in a tank for years, or is does it look like natural rock pulled from the ocean?

I know it probably doesn't matter in the grand scheme of whether I can reuse it or not, I'm just curious 

PXL_20210605_005204777.jpg

4 hours ago, EMeyer said:

Those are the real thing - old coral skeletons, not mined or manmade. 

Thanks for the info.  I'd feel a little better if it was mined, but what's done is done I guess.  At least when I got it from the guy who was selling all the stuff, it looked like everything had been in use for a rather long time, most everything I got was very old and well used, so its still better than buying it right off the market from someone pulling it from a reef and selling it

Only thing left now is finish soaking it, give the pieces a good scrub (I'm sure some of them will need it badly even with the bleachwater soak), and a few rinse cycles and then decide how much of I really need to keep and use.  

Edited by Silvas