After thinking I was failing for so long...

LadAShark

I finally have my second successful batch (though not large) of berghia! 
They're tiny for now, so I need to feed them to get them up to sellable size, but the work has paid off! Thank you all who provided me with aiptasia to keep my efforts going! (Though the aiptasia farm is another work in progress, and I probably am in need of more since I'm still fine tuning that).

Edited by LadAShark
  • Like 4

Okay, let's cut to details.   

• What's your feeding regime of the aptasia farm?   
    • tell us about growing out aptasia.  daily feeding, multiple times a day feeding, heavy feeding, light feeding. 
    • Light or no-lights ...
  • How have you outfitted the farm, to enable harvesting aptasia to feed to the berghia?   
    • Is this just a low flat tank, or do you have struture in it?
    • course gravel bottom, so it's easier to pull out an aptasia to feed, or just razor blade them off flat glass

Pictures?  

That’s awesome. They are weird little buggers, I put in about 30 into my 210. About 20 in the display and 10 in my sump/grow out fuge that had aptaisa in it. I thought my wrasse wiped them all out but did finally see some in the display a few days ago. Slowly the aptasia are disappearing, but not sure they will make It to all of them. They take a while, still have lots of work to do. Wouldn’t mind getting some more in the future from you 👍 saltyunderground wants a mint for them...glad I bought during the sale.

4 hours ago, obrien.david.j said:

Okay, let's cut to details.   

• What's your feeding regime of the aptasia farm?   
    • tell us about growing out aptasia.  daily feeding, multiple times a day feeding, heavy feeding, light feeding. 
    • Light or no-lights ...
  • How have you outfitted the farm, to enable harvesting aptasia to feed to the berghia?   
    • Is this just a low flat tank, or do you have struture in it?
    • course gravel bottom, so it's easier to pull out an aptasia to feed, or just razor blade them off flat glass

Pictures?  

In terms of feeding I feed lightly, and my food of choice is fish roe. I have no lighting on them but have them near a window where they get the most of the day's sun. I could give them more lighting but this has been effective in the past.

In term of outfitting the tank, it's been simple, it's a flat clear container. I don't have structure in it. I just pluck them off glass with forceps, but gravel does make for a decent idea.

In terms of pictures I wouldn't have much to show. I have minimal aiptasia left as I haven't been able to get them to take off, probably because I haven't been feeding them all that much. Can they actually handle multiple feedings a day? Anemones tend to have issues with food rotting while still in then if they're fed too often, but perhaps that doesn't apply to aiptasia. The populations cannot keep up with the feeding of the berghia, though perhaps it's because I just don't have the time/schedule to really work at reproducing the aiptasia en masse.

Edited by LadAShark

4 hours ago, Blue Z Reef said:

That’s awesome. They are weird little buggers, I put in about 30 into my 210. About 20 in the display and 10 in my sump/grow out fuge that had aptaisa in it. I thought my wrasse wiped them all out but did finally see some in the display a few days ago. Slowly the aptasia are disappearing, but not sure they will make It to all of them. They take a while, still have lots of work to do. Wouldn’t mind getting some more in the future from you 👍 saltyunderground wants a mint for them...glad I bought during the sale.

Good luck on that front. 
In my experience with them in my tank, when you start to see aiptasia disappearing is about when berghia populations are hitting critical mass, but the wrasse may change the dynamics of that a little.