In need of more aiptasia, or a trick to make then explode again

LadAShark

Haven't had luck with keeping up with feeding my berghia lately and am running short on aiptasia. Does anybody have some extra?

Alternatively, a magic trick to make the aiptasia explode in population would be appreciated. I've been feeding them semi regularly, and while they're vigorous, I am slowly getting outpaced by the few breeder berghia I have. 

Edit: thanks everyone! Seem to have enough for now, hopefully this will make me more self sufficient in terms of aiptasia.

Edited by LadAShark

Crap.  Just last night I found a robust population of Aptasia on the stand pipe in the overflow box of my frag tank.  I thought of you, but hadn't heard any I-need-more in a while...  So i just bleached the crap out of them (stand pipe is removable).

The odd part, was looking like I've knocked my aptasia population down to invisible again.  (in all visible tank space)  And then I found this corner of them!    Really shows how aptasia stay a pest.  Only takes one protected spot to be the source of them spreading again.   These were huge, and I could see they were loaded to release new babies.  (tentacles swollen, lots of little white rings up and down them.  I think they just break off and release them free floating.)

Think I'll take the frag tank down this weekend and bleach the Whole Thing!

16 minutes ago, obrien.david.j said:

Crap.  Just last night I found a robust population of Aptasia on the stand pipe in the overflow box of my frag tank.  I thought of you, but hadn't heard any I-need-more in a while...  So i just bleached the crap out of them (stand pipe is removable).

The odd part, was looking like I've knocked my aptasia population down to invisible again.  (in all visible tank space)  And then I found this corner of them!    Really shows how aptasia stay a pest.  Only takes one protected spot to be the source of them spreading again.   These were huge, and I could see they were loaded to release new babies.  (tentacles swollen, lots of little white rings up and down them.  I think they just break off and release them free floating.)

Think I'll take the frag tank down this weekend and bleach the Whole Thing!

Darn! That would have been great on my end. Let me know when they eventually show up again! My berghia are huge and eat way too much to be able to easily sustain them. I've been struggling to be self sufficient in terms of aiptasia, because it seems like when I want them to they don't reproduce nearly as fast as when I don't 😂😒

8 minutes ago, Matteo said:

Yo, I have a handful I can scrape off my in my media baskets in my aio.

I'm shutting the tank down today to transfer over to my upgrade so if you can swing by sometime I can try and bag some up for you.

will do, pm sent

P.s: worst part of all, "you are what you eat" seems to apply to berghia too. They lay tons of eggs but seem to hatch and take off when they want. It's going to take some fine tuning to get this really going.

Edited by LadAShark

59 minutes ago, LadAShark said:

Darn! That would have been great on my end. Let me know when they eventually show up again! My berghia are huge and eat way too much to be able to easily sustain them. I've been struggling to be self sufficient in terms of aiptasia, because it seems like when I want them to they don't reproduce nearly as fast as when I don't 😂😒

If (When) I find another load, I'll give you a proactive ping.    I'll look again tonight in the overflow, maybe there's more in the box itsefl.

4 hours ago, LadAShark said:

Haven't had luck with keeping up with feeding my berghia lately and am running short on aiptasia. Does anybody have some extra?

Alternatively, a magic trick to make the aiptasia explode in population would be appreciated. I've been feeding them semi regularly, and while they're vigorous, I am slowly getting outpaced by the few breeder berghia I have. 

I got a friend in need of Berghia asap

2 hours ago, obrien.david.j said:

If (When) I find another load, I'll give you a proactive ping.    I'll look again tonight in the overflow, maybe there's more in the box itsefl.

Thanks! That'd be great.

6 minutes ago, The ReefBox said:

I got a friend in need of Berghia asap

Wish I had some to spare right now, if I could get my aiptasia supply going more steadily and my berghia supply balloons again you'll see me in classifieds/I'll ping you. It's unfortunately kind of in the trial and error phase right now and I'm trying to replicate my initial success sustainably.

2 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

I think the way to get more aptasia is to wish that you didn't have any aptasia.  In my experience this increases the population. 

You must be right. They seem to be fueled by spite!

Anyway, thanks to everyone who gave me some. I have enough for now. Hopefully this will be enough to really kick them off and outpace my berghia.