Alkalinity and Calcium dosing

Its_cchan

I gotta ask. I am reaching a point where my Alkalinity decreases by 1 dkH every day. Currently, I manually dose fritz Alk and Ca twice a day (16 mL each, twice per day) Now, here comes the questions 

1. Should I look into automatic dosing now that Alkalinity is slowly being consumed  by more than 1 dkH per day. 

2. Should I get an automatic doser as well as something that would automatically test parameters for 

3. What automatic system are you using now?

4. Any other advice? 

I've done dosing and hated it. Currently I have my frag tank on an aquamaxx calcium reactor and my main tank is on an avast marine kalk reactor.

I'd check an online calculator, but half a gallon of saturated kalk solution raises a 55g tank 1 dkh. You might not have that much evaporation, and I dunno your tank size. Probably wanna go with a calcium reactor, if you don't have much evaporation.

@jtichenor Firstly, having lines get plugged then not pumping or worse.... Comes disconnected and pumps all over your sump area. Cleaning up alk solution isn't fun. Secondly, mixing, observing, and maintaining solution levels in the containers. Thirdly, the space it takes up in the sump area. Fourthly, needing to source de-icer and store it somewhere so the extra doesn't decicate the air and get wet. Leaking magnesium slurry isn't fun to clean up either. Fifthly, was fiddling with three dosing pumps independently to get your levels right. A calcium reactor does it all by simply changing drip rate!!! Not effing with 3 dose pumps.

My system is over 500 gallons. I use a calcium reactor first to bare on the parameters. I have an apex trident and the Dos to maintain consistency on alk and calcium. Magnesium very seldom change so manually dose when needed. Works great! It has really cut down the fluctuations of swings the corals tend to absorb.

• Like 1

I dosed for a long time then it became cost prohibitive compared to a calcium reactor.  I was shocked at home stable the calcium reactor makes things.  In addition, as the theory goes you are melting corals so also adding trace elements to the tank which you don't get while dosing two part or whatever.  The cost to set up the reactor is pretty high if you are starting from zero but with modern dosing pumps and ph controllers it is stupid easy to get them dialed in.  

What sized system we talking about?