Power will be off for a day- any tips?

MrMonte

I live in one of the old portland houses and have to have the panel box rewired. They say the power will be off for 7hours the day it is worked on. Does anyone have an tips or suggestions for the tank?

I have access to my grandfathers generator if needed, but I currently don’t have a power outage plan for the tank. Any reeefers out there who can offer some advice or products (preferably on the budget side of prices, today) would be greatly appreciated. 

Today is tank cleaning day, but for FYI it’s 120display and ~25-30 sump. I have snowflake eel, blue tang, 2 clowns, dotty back, chromis, two gobyos and a damsel. There are a couple hammers, lots of zoa frags, Monte, and a couple other corals (I’m new and forgot their names), also two bubble tips (one black widow and one (maybe 2 I think it split recently) Rose tip ) and a carpet.

image.jpg

I have two of the rechargeable air pumps that people use for live bait and to keep bass alive after catching them. They can also be powered/recharged from a wall outlet or USB. They are like 15 bucks on eBay or Amazon. I also have two Wen generators from Lowe's if it's going to be a long outage.

I would definitely borrow the generator if the power is going to be out that long.  Plan for the worst case scenario like if they run into problems and your power is off for more than one day.  Plug a power strip into the generator to run your return pump, heater and wave makers.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, dunpeal said:

I have two of the rechargeable air pumps that people use for live bait and to keep bass alive after catching them. They can also be powered/recharged from a wall outlet or USB. They are like 15 bucks on eBay or Amazon. I also have two Wen generators from Lowe's if it's going to be a long outage.

Sorry, my phone wigged out. Couldn’t Unpaste or type in the previous comment. 

thanks for the advice guys. @ocboatand @dunpeal I appreciate your input. I’ll def get a generator for just in case and potential future emergency’s, luckily we weren’t hit last time by the power outage but who knows if I can count on that again. 

Will the corals be okay without light for the day? I run four T5s, two white bulbs and two blue. Recently I’ve been just running the two blue. Thinking of replacing the white ones with a more blue or purple since they aren’t on very often and I’m not a huge fan of the white. 

With my bonus I invested in this interlock and generator.  Overall it ended up being close to 3 grand with moving circuits over to the other panel. I don’t mess around with electricity so getting a professional was worth it to me. Having peace of mind that I’m set for a power failure is priceless to me.

Only thing better than this would have been the Generac stand alone units but those are around 10k. This was a nice compromise to me.

00473DCC-FB04-4BA8-A652-53C895A1D2CA.jpegCB0CA27E-6BA9-492F-8B1F-643854484DF3.jpeg9F572619-B6CD-4459-BE0E-0EBB69253F40.jpeg91EC5D71-4EEA-47F5-94FD-1D03D6627C32.jpeg

If they are replacing the panel, now is the best time to incorporate some sort of plug for a future generator or even a transfer switch, but they can be cost prohibitive. 
For temp power, depending on your location, you should be able to borrow power from a neighbor with 100’ 12g extension cord. When I went through this, I gave my neighbor $20 and made them dinner. Kept my tank running without interruption other than unplugging the cord. 
Of course, a generator would be a good idea too. Considering what you likely have invested in your tank, it’s probably a small amount compared to total loss, and then you’re covered for future outages. Good luck!