Question about rock flower anemones

Sketi

12 minutes ago, Sketi said:

Hey everyone!

Question. Does anyone keep rock flower anemones in there tank? If you do how are they? Special care? Friendly with other tank dwellers? Clown fish friendly?

Thanks guys!

Back in the rock flower craze I had about ten in my sps tank and the nice thing is they didn’t move like rbtas. I had a clown tank and a bunch of clowns but they didn’t host them as I suspect there sting is much stronger than a bubble tip. I do think one of my clowns got stuck in one because the next morning he was looking kinda rough with abrasions but survived.

• Thanks 1

I have one, he has moved a couple of times over the years but has been pretty stationary the last 2 or so. I think he found a spot he like though its on the back corner so I hardly see him unless I go a round the tank. No issues or care requirements that I can tell. He seems pretty hardy and has survived a few fluctuations that killed all my SPS so hardier than those. My clowns never have shown any interest though they have 7+ rainbow nems they live in. 

• Thanks 1

I have Rock Flower nems. Love them! Like most have said they don't really move and mine spawned also. I have 8 big ones and about 30+ babies ones now. Was able get some of babies our of DT and put in a Tupperware to grow. They colors on them are amazing! And some have crazy patterns. Definitely never had anything do well after crawling or swimming through them. Don't know if its their stung or the fact that they seem to be really sticky.

20201015_130359.jpg

20200923_095842.jpg

20210414_144235.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Do you guys think the nems would get along with a giant clam? I'm setting up a nano tank and want a giant clam as my center piece and thought a combo of RFA and Zoas would accent it really well with maybe 2 clowns. Thoughts?

4 minutes ago, Sketi said:

Do you guys think the nems would get along with a giant clam? I'm setting up a nano tank and want a giant clam as my center piece and thought a combo of RFA and Zoas would accent it really well with maybe 2 clowns. Thoughts?

How big of a nano tank? And what do you mean by giant clam? 

1 minute ago, Emerald525 said:

How big of a nano tank? And what do you mean by giant clam? 

30gal tank and I mean a giant reef clam. There pretty cool. Friend of mine has one. They are super colorful good at eating up nitrates and other nutrients. They require minimal doping. Here's a picture from Google to give you an idea...

Screenshot_20210416-085515_Chrome.jpg

1 minute ago, Sketi said:

30gal tank and I mean a giant reef clam. There pretty cool. Friend of mine has one. They are super colorful good at eating up nitrates and other nutrients. They require minimal doping. Here's a picture from Google to give you an idea...

Screenshot_20210416-085515_Chrome.jpg

Oh ok gotcha. I thought you meant like a gigas LOL. I wouldn’t see a problem if there is plenty of room.  I had 2 large maximas in my 150 gallon with several RFA.

1 minute ago, Emerald525 said:

Oh ok gotcha. I thought you meant like a gigas LOL. I wouldn’t see a problem if there is plenty of room.  I had 2 large maximas in my 150 gallon with several RFA.

Thats awesome! I'd love to see a picture if you don't mind. And your clam gets along with everyone? Here's a quick sketch of the layout in my head...

Screenshot_20210416-090457_Samsung Notes.jpg

I have 4 in a 20 gal.  The only time they move is if I change power heads and they point on them too much.  They definitely add color and uniqueness to a nano. I had a peppermint shrimp in my 90 gal with one.  The shrimp ate him within hours.  Be aware of that

• Thanks 1