Toombs Tiny Tank 🐠

Toombs

Wow, what 10 days can bring in the hobby.  So the little pico had its first huge hurtle right after the last post on the 6th.  I came out to a little tank that was crashing and I didn't know why or how 😓. I lost all the pieces of sps of course, and now I am trying to save 3 other LPs😣.  After about 2 hours of water changes, maintenance and dosing more Dr tims and adding another pump I found the culprit to the crash.  The smallest astrea snail had gotten stuck between a literal rock and hard place and was being eaten by the hermits and the shrimp.  But it was twice as large as the biggest hermit so the decaying snail nuked the tank in less than 7 hours 😢.  I was so heart broken I almost threw my hands up again and was going to tear it down and just give up again.  Then after another day of waiting I came out to a piece of coral that I thought was dead from day one had opened 😲?! I had gotten the red goni piece from a PetSmart, I know I know, but I didn't buy it, it was given to me bc they thought it was dead, and it was open and fluffy😗.  I slapped myself out of the funk and started to do water tests and another small water change and prayed.  Skip to today and things are "ok", not great but open and happy.  I'm going to just leave it be now and not add anything new for a few weeks. 

I love this hobby so much and I despise the downs of it so much, but when I think I at least saved one coral that was dying just because of the lighting and water and maybe give it a chance to grow and look as beautiful as it should then I'll stay up till 4 each morning and grit my teeth 😤.

On a lighter note the pico has a brother now, a bowfront brother 😗, and I know this is a salt water forum but I had to do a contrasting freshwater planted tank, and since the SW tank is black background I got the FW as a white background.  I'll throw in some updates on it when I update about the pico reef so don't worry 👍.

As always everyone thanks for reading and enjoy a couple of quick pics I took, nothing amazing, just to show the tanks, and happy reefing everyone!

IMG_20210515_152135.jpg

FJIMG_20210515_152222.jpg

FJIMG_20210515_152234.jpg

6 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

Wow!! Sorry to hear about the crash. One dead snail was all it took. It’s amazing what a fine balance picos can be. Glad you’re not giving up .

Yep, one little snail, but today things are happier and debating on even doing a water change since everything looks stable.  I knew sps was going to be a gamble but I know not to try it again, at least in this tank, and have decided to make it a lps and softer tank, leaning more towards lps, and then getting like a 15g or something a little larger for sps and such lol.  And the other pico and my patio ponds should quell the feeling's of discouragement incase something else happen's with the pico reef.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Toombs said:

Yep, one little snail, but today things are happier and debating on even doing a water change since everything looks stable.  I knew sps was going to be a gamble but I know not to try it again, at least in this tank, and have decided to make it a lps and softer tank, leaning more towards lps, and then getting like a 15g or something a little larger for sps and such lol.  And the other pico and my patio ponds should quell the feeling's of discouragement incase something else happen's with the pico reef.

I thought I was being adventurous with acros in my 25 lagoon LOL 

• Haha 1