Live phytoplankton cultures SEA

Jermollusc

Hey all, 

I have been an aquarium hobbyist for 20+ years, thanks to my father's passion becoming mine. History in brief: Still keep FW planted tank(s) and am a resilient member of the shellfish hatchery industry here in the PNW. Professionally, I culture The Pacific Oyster, Kumamoto Oyster, Manila Clam, Geoduck, Purple Hinge Rock Scallop; as well as billions of cells of live phytoplankton daily.  It's been a while since I've ran a SW setup as a hobbyist.

I culture diatoms & flagellates most months of the year on-site, but am seeking an opportunity to start a venture of my own - providing clean, live culture for hobbyists, retail stores, and production facilities here in the PNW. It's been my experience that live algae trumps all pastes - there's no fouling of tanks/filtration, clean consumption & clean fecal waste, an ease of feed-out. Live algae also contributes more nutrition than preserved products - giving you the ability to condition broodstock, rear frags and vert & invert larvae faster, and with higher yield. The crux is always diet. 

So I'm starting the thread here to introduce myself, but more-so seeking to gauge interest in a steady supply of clean, live phytoplankton culture for hobbyists & shops out there. How do you all feed your animals now? Reed paste? Culture your own? 

Jeremy!

IMG_3469.JPG

Edited by Jermollusc
  • Like 1

Hey All, thanks for the responses. I’m out of White Center/ Burien. 

There’s more to find out from you all & wondering if it makes sense to have some culture available for pick up this weekend if there’s interest & you’re able to make it to White Center. Happy to give small volumes out to those who can make it (~10L of mix culture). It’ll give me a good opportunity to pick your brains on what you’re feeding, how you’re feeding, how often, etc. 

Are any of you interested & able to make it out this weekend?  If timing sucks I’m flexible. We’ll see where the interest takes us