Toombs here 👍!

Toombs

How goes it everyone, names Eric aka: Toombs, and have been in the reefing scene since 2010. Orinaly from San Diego were I worked for such companies as AquaSD and VetPets and co-owned a store for a brief while called San Diego Aquarium Rock.

Kinda took a break after moving up here in 2016 and dabbled with a 5g pico that went under fast, but since then I have been wanting a tank again, so I went with another pico build, which is definitely smaller than the last, but hopefully setup better lol.

So the tank I am currently running is a tiny 1.5g AIO system that is probably more like 1.2 now with live rock and sand and is also running a zoomed micro canister filter that I'll be modifying to be a macro algae reactor and to increase water volume by a little lol. It will only be stocked with corals, maybe a shrimp. It will be running a Lominie S20 LED system and dosing will be done with water changes, which happen 2 times a week at 50%. Also has an ATO, which you can see in the last pick is almost as big as the tank lol and a small fan since the temp gets a little warm by my pc.

I'm hoping this little tank keeps my addiction to the hobby at bay for a bit and I hope everyone enjoys the updates and progress on the tank as much as I will be! Definitely making another thread on the tank but for now I will post a few pics of it at day 3 and then go from there!

Happy reefing everyone and thanks for reading and enjoying my tiny picotope!

Cheer's!

IMG_20210406_020828.jpg

IMG_20210406_020850.jpg

IMG_20210406_021030.jpg

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

Welcome! I love pico tanks ! I love the light . I haven’t seen ones like that before. Between the light and the controller it’s makes your pico look like a video game.

Thanks Emerald, kinda is my loading screen in a way when i'm waiting for a game to start or i'm waiting to respawn 🎮

4 hours ago, Blue Z Reef said:

Cool little tank. Is the water bottle ATO just doing gravity/siphon break to top off? Haven’t seen anyone doing it that way before haha kinda cool.

Thanks Blue and yes it is, just a 16oz water bottle being gravity fed.  Simple ATO that was on amazon lol, since the tank is so small i'm hoping it will last atleast a week and a half.

3 hours ago, pdxmonkeyboy said:

That would satisfy my aquarium hunger for about, hmmmm, 6 minutes?   

Cool setup though!  What skimmer are you using?  LOL 

Same lol, but wish I had the room I used to when I lived in SD, my last tank's were 2 60 cube's and a 120 long and about 5 pico's lol.  Actually i'll post the custom skimmer i'll be making for it.  It will be a wood air stone skimmer and the macro algae reactor should keep everything else happy with water changes and such 👍!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Toombs said:

Thanks Emerald, kinda is my loading screen in a way when i'm waiting for a game to start or i'm waiting to respawn 🎮

Thanks Blue and yes it is, just a 16oz water bottle being gravity fed.  Simple ATO that was on amazon lol, since the tank is so small i'm hoping it will last atleast a week and a half.

Same lol, but wish I had the room I used to when I lived in SD, my last tank's were 2 60 cube's and a 120 long and about 5 pico's lol.  Actually i'll post the custom skimmer i'll be making for it.  It will be a wood air stone skimmer and the macro algae reactor should keep everything else happy with water changes and such 👍!

I would think with no fish you shouldn’t need much more than water changes . I can’t wait to see what you do. Very creative . We had a pico tank contest a few years back and this would definitely be in the running.

15 minutes ago, Emerald525 said:

I would think with no fish you shouldn’t need much more than water changes . I can’t wait to see what you do. Very creative . We had a pico tank contest a few years back and this would definitely be in the running.

Agreed Emerald, weekly changes should be enough, which is why the skimmer is going to be more for insurance than anything else lol.

I'll have to go check the thread out and get some inspiration and thanks! Keep it simple is my goal, and definitely will be making a build thread on the tank and progress as well lol.  I'm excited to see how it goes!

And here is a quick full tank shot to see the new light and just size lol.  The light is small too but looks like a huge metal halide over it 😂 Pardon the messy desk 😬

IMG_20210406_161529.jpg

1 hour ago, Toombs said:

Agreed Emerald, weekly changes should be enough, which is why the skimmer is going to be more for insurance than anything else lol.

I'll have to go check the thread out and get some inspiration and thanks! Keep it simple is my goal, and definitely will be making a build thread on the tank and progress as well lol.  I'm excited to see how it goes!

And here is a quick full tank shot to see the new light and just size lol.  The light is small too but looks like a huge metal halide over it 😂 Pardon the messy desk 😬

IMG_20210406_161529.jpg

That is awesome. First ATO reservoir I have seen that is almost as big as the tank !😂

On 4/7/2021 at 9:26 AM, sroberts said:

Nice looking tank.  I like your rock work.  I’ll look forward to pics as you start adding corals and fish!

Welcome.

Thanks, most likely will not have any fish at all lol, maybe a couple of snail's and maybe a couple of Zebra Shrimp but definitely going to be a zoa garden with a couple of rando LPS.  Getting some good shot's and going to post in the Nano tank section probably today or tomorrow 👍 

• Like 2