Let’s Talk Filter Rollers

Emerald525

1 hour ago, SuncrestReef said:

OK, I finally finished the plumbing on my new Platinum34 sump and the tank is wet again!  I tested the roller for the first time this morning and it worked as expected.  What surprised me was the amount of dirt it captured from a completely empty tank (no rocks, no sand, no fish) that was just filled 12 hours ago with freshly mixed saltwater.  I can't wait to see how much real crap it filters out once the tank is stocked!

The roller motor is nearly silent, and it rotates the roll very slowly.  But you can see the water level lowering as the filter moves, and it stopped as soon as the float switch dropped.

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0418.jpeg

I have heard those rollers are super efficient to the point some people need to downsize their skimmer. I am getting Brian’s tank and I am just going to use his sump that comes with the tank. Beautiful plumbing it appeals to my closet ocd brain. 

• 2 months later...
On 5/9/2021 at 10:12 PM, Manny Tavan said:

I love the bubble magus filter roller. Fits perfectly it my $10 Costco tote box sump. By the way that skimmer is absolutely dead silent. The mp40 is basically the loudest thing in my tank. 

521BBD54-D77A-4671-A675-59FA84C249AE.jpeg

My apologies for the thread necromancy but I just want to say thanks for the discussion. I ended up getting the medium Bubble Magus filter roller and I just want to put it out there that it's awesome! Easy to install and does a great job, already having to spike feeding due to it dropping nutrient levels. I wish I wouldn't have waited so long! Excuse the wires, I just reset the display and redid the entire sump. The cable closet is being completely redone so all my cables are loose at the moment. 

20210731_082853.jpg

Edited by youcallmenny
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, youcallmenny said:

My apologies for the thread necromancy but I just want to say thanks for the discussion. I ended up getting the medium Bubble Magus filter roller and I just want to put it out there that it's awesome! Easy to install and does a great job, already having to spike feeding due to it dropping nutrient levels. I wish I wouldn't have waited so long! Excuse the wires, I just reset the display and redid the entire sump. The cable closet is being completely redone so all my cables are loose at the moment. 

20210731_082853.jpg

Thanks for sharing I have heard that they do such a good job people have to downgrade their skimmer. I decided to go with the tried and true filter socks because I’m not very handy with equipment so I tend to minimize anything mechanical. Other than that I would have gotten one. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1