Jump to content

Let’s Talk Filter Rollers


Recommended Posts

It seems like right when I was taking down my tanks these became the greatest automation advancement in Saltwater technology since they ATO. 
 

I am not a big fan of automation because bad things can happen with equipment failure or user error but there are certain things like an ATO that I am willing to take the risk. 
 

I was going to get one already built into a sump.  I have read that they excel in clearing out debris and keeping phosphates  and nitrites down to the point you could consider downsizing your skimmer. 
 

Filter socks need to be changed out every 3 days for similar efficiency and who does that and who enjoys throwing fish poop and sand laden socks into your washer ?

My biggest hesitation is in reading it seems like they breakdown quite a bit. There are lots of moving parts and while the concept of how the roller sounds simple it stills seems like it would be real easy for this to breakdown or malfunction. 
 

Who has them ? How are they working for you? 
Any brands seem to perform best? Clarisea Bubble Magus Klir?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kim keep an eye on the motor size. I heard some of the smaller motors bogged down at the end of the roll with the weight of the water and detritus. That is i am holding a bit to see other versions that might come out after things open up a little and to hear more reviews.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gumby said:

Kim keep an eye on the motor size. I heard some of the smaller motors bogged down at the end of the roll with the weight of the water and detritus. That is i am holding a bit to see other versions that might come out after things open up a little and to hear more reviews.

That was one thing I was worried about .  My other concern was sensors fail and somehow the [language filter] thing plugging up the sump and causing a flood. I was looking at the trigger sumps but man the platinums are spendy 🤑

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Emerald525 said:

That was one thing I was worried about .  My other concern was sensors fail and somehow the [language filter] thing plugging up the sump and causing a flood. I was looking at the trigger sumps but many the platinums are spendy 🤑

I think most of them will just flow back into the sump. If they if they clogged.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

That was one thing I was worried about .  My other concern was sensors fail and somehow the [language filter] thing plugging up the sump and causing a flood. I was looking at the trigger sumps but many the platinums are spendy 🤑

Two of the things I liked when I chose the Tigger Platinum was their dual float switches (one controls the motor under normal circumstances, the other is in the return chamber and turns it off if the sump water level is high because the return pump is off), and the motor is geared at 12:18 so the motor has more torque on the roll.  I'm planning to further augment the water level sensors with my Apex so it can monitor for a runaway situation and shut down power to the roller motor.

But yes, they are spendy...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

Two of the things I liked when I chose the Tigger Platinum was their dual float switches (one controls the motor under normal circumstances, the other is in the return chamber and turns it off if the sump water level is high because the return pump is off), and the motor is geared at 12:18 so the motor has more torque on the roll.  I'm planning to further augment the water level sensors with my Apex so it can monitor for a runaway situation and shut down power to the roller motor.

But yes, they are spendy...

I will have to check yours out. I would go with the trigger39.  Have you tried yours out yet ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Emerald525 said:

I will have to check yours out. I would go with the trigger39.  Have you tried yours out yet ?

Not yet.  I just finished draining and removing my display tank from the stand, and next I need to disassemble the stand to remove the center support panel and replace it with an aluminum support frame so the larger Plantinum sump will fit.  Then I need to connect all the plumbing, put the tank back on the stand, and fill with water.  Hoping to have that done within a week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

Not yet.  I just finished draining and removing my display tank from the stand, and next I need to disassemble the stand to remove the center support panel and replace it with an aluminum support frame so the larger Plantinum sump will fit.  Then I need to connect all the plumbing, put the tank back on the stand, and fill with water.  Hoping to have that done within a week.

That is definitely a lot of work to change out the sump . It must feel like a new build for you . 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Emerald525 said:

That is definitely a lot of work to change out the sump . It must feel like a new build for you . 

It's definitely a whole new build, and starting the tank over from scratch after my recent crash. 😞

For those of you interested in following along, here's the build thread:  https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/suncrestreefs-reefer-xl-425-rebuild.795310/

Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

It's definitely a whole new build, and starting the tank over from scratch after my recent crash. 😞

For those of you interested in following along, here's the build thread:  https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/suncrestreefs-reefer-xl-425-rebuild.795310/

I guess the silver lining from a crash is that you have a reason to change things around . Why don’t you have a build here ? I don’t visit reef2reef too much these days. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Emerald525 said:

Why don’t you have a build here ? I don’t visit reef2reef too much these days. 

Mainly because I don’t want to duplicate the effort.  I started on R2R before I knew about PNWMAS, and I have quite a following there.  My original build thread is in their top 25 with over 115K views, and my Apex tutorials have over 75K views, so posting there provides benefit to a larger and international audience.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm still not understanding how people apply these with Herbie and Beananimal drain systems (i.e. every friggen tank out there with a sump). The Trigger Platinum sump appears to have two drain inlets for their roll filter, so that makes sense to me. But none of these aftermarket standalone products have method to connect two drains. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Manny Tavan said:

I have clarisea and bubble magus

the clarisea works flawlessly for me. Went with bubble magus for my second build cause it was a lot cheaper and honestly, it's the same thing

Have you had any issues with the clarisea and were there any significant differences in the bubble magus ( quality power of motor , sensors etc) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

They are both solid pieces of equipment. I haven’t had any issues with the clarisea. What’s nice about the Clarisea is that I’m able to use a cheaper filter paper I bought on eBay.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Manny Tavan said:

They are both solid pieces of equipment. I haven’t had any issues with the clarisea. What’s nice about the Clarisea is that I’m able to use a cheaper filter paper I bought on eBay.

That’s good to know . I was thinking of buying the trigger sump with the roller already in there but I also have considered retrofitting a sump and getting the clarisea. I also like the option of getting cheaper rolls. I saw someone else who was doing that as I figure ultimately that’s where the cost will be. Does the Bubbke Magus nkt have cheaper replacement options ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I got one step closer today.  I disassembled my Reefer cabinet to remove the center panel and replace it with aluminum framing to make space for my new Trigger Platinum34 sump to fit inside the cabinet.  Now I just need to finish the plumbing and place the tank back on the stand before filling it with water.

IMG_0293.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...