Let’s Talk Filter Rollers

Emerald525

It seems like right when I was taking down my tanks these became the greatest automation advancement in Saltwater technology since they ATO. 

I am not a big fan of automation because bad things can happen with equipment failure or user error but there are certain things like an ATO that I am willing to take the risk. 

I was going to get one already built into a sump.  I have read that they excel in clearing out debris and keeping phosphates  and nitrites down to the point you could consider downsizing your skimmer. 

Filter socks need to be changed out every 3 days for similar efficiency and who does that and who enjoys throwing fish poop and sand laden socks into your washer ?

My biggest hesitation is in reading it seems like they breakdown quite a bit. There are lots of moving parts and while the concept of how the roller sounds simple it stills seems like it would be real easy for this to breakdown or malfunction. 

Who has them ? How are they working for you? 
Any brands seem to perform best? Clarisea Bubble Magus Klir?

Kim keep an eye on the motor size. I heard some of the smaller motors bogged down at the end of the roll with the weight of the water and detritus. That is i am holding a bit to see other versions that might come out after things open up a little and to hear more reviews.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gumby said:

Kim keep an eye on the motor size. I heard some of the smaller motors bogged down at the end of the roll with the weight of the water and detritus. That is i am holding a bit to see other versions that might come out after things open up a little and to hear more reviews.

That was one thing I was worried about .  My other concern was sensors fail and somehow the [language filter] thing plugging up the sump and causing a flood. I was looking at the trigger sumps but man the platinums are spendy 🤑

1 hour ago, Emerald525 said:

That was one thing I was worried about .  My other concern was sensors fail and somehow the [language filter] thing plugging up the sump and causing a flood. I was looking at the trigger sumps but many the platinums are spendy 🤑

I think most of them will just flow back into the sump. If they if they clogged.

2 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

That was one thing I was worried about .  My other concern was sensors fail and somehow the [language filter] thing plugging up the sump and causing a flood. I was looking at the trigger sumps but many the platinums are spendy 🤑

Two of the things I liked when I chose the Tigger Platinum was their dual float switches (one controls the motor under normal circumstances, the other is in the return chamber and turns it off if the sump water level is high because the return pump is off), and the motor is geared at 12:18 so the motor has more torque on the roll.  I'm planning to further augment the water level sensors with my Apex so it can monitor for a runaway situation and shut down power to the roller motor.

But yes, they are spendy...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

Two of the things I liked when I chose the Tigger Platinum was their dual float switches (one controls the motor under normal circumstances, the other is in the return chamber and turns it off if the sump water level is high because the return pump is off), and the motor is geared at 12:18 so the motor has more torque on the roll.  I'm planning to further augment the water level sensors with my Apex so it can monitor for a runaway situation and shut down power to the roller motor.

But yes, they are spendy...

I will have to check yours out. I would go with the trigger39.  Have you tried yours out yet ?

Just now, Emerald525 said:

I will have to check yours out. I would go with the trigger39.  Have you tried yours out yet ?

Not yet.  I just finished draining and removing my display tank from the stand, and next I need to disassemble the stand to remove the center support panel and replace it with an aluminum support frame so the larger Plantinum sump will fit.  Then I need to connect all the plumbing, put the tank back on the stand, and fill with water.  Hoping to have that done within a week.

5 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

Not yet.  I just finished draining and removing my display tank from the stand, and next I need to disassemble the stand to remove the center support panel and replace it with an aluminum support frame so the larger Plantinum sump will fit.  Then I need to connect all the plumbing, put the tank back on the stand, and fill with water.  Hoping to have that done within a week.

That is definitely a lot of work to change out the sump . It must feel like a new build for you . 

1 minute ago, Emerald525 said:

That is definitely a lot of work to change out the sump . It must feel like a new build for you . 

It's definitely a whole new build, and starting the tank over from scratch after my recent crash. 😞

For those of you interested in following along, here's the build thread:  https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/suncrestreefs-reefer-xl-425-rebuild.795310/

46 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

It's definitely a whole new build, and starting the tank over from scratch after my recent crash. 😞

For those of you interested in following along, here's the build thread:  https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/suncrestreefs-reefer-xl-425-rebuild.795310/

I guess the silver lining from a crash is that you have a reason to change things around . Why don’t you have a build here ? I don’t visit reef2reef too much these days. 

10 minutes ago, Emerald525 said:

Why don’t you have a build here ? I don’t visit reef2reef too much these days. 

Mainly because I don’t want to duplicate the effort.  I started on R2R before I knew about PNWMAS, and I have quite a following there.  My original build thread is in their top 25 with over 115K views, and my Apex tutorials have over 75K views, so posting there provides benefit to a larger and international audience.

• Thanks 1

I'm still not understanding how people apply these with Herbie and Beananimal drain systems (i.e. every friggen tank out there with a sump). The Trigger Platinum sump appears to have two drain inlets for their roll filter, so that makes sense to me. But none of these aftermarket standalone products have method to connect two drains. 

10 hours ago, Manny Tavan said:

I have clarisea and bubble magus

the clarisea works flawlessly for me. Went with bubble magus for my second build cause it was a lot cheaper and honestly, it's the same thing

Have you had any issues with the clarisea and were there any significant differences in the bubble magus ( quality power of motor , sensors etc) 

18 minutes ago, Manny Tavan said:

They are both solid pieces of equipment. I haven’t had any issues with the clarisea. What’s nice about the Clarisea is that I’m able to use a cheaper filter paper I bought on eBay.

That’s good to know . I was thinking of buying the trigger sump with the roller already in there but I also have considered retrofitting a sump and getting the clarisea. I also like the option of getting cheaper rolls. I saw someone else who was doing that as I figure ultimately that’s where the cost will be. Does the Bubbke Magus nkt have cheaper replacement options ?

I got one step closer today.  I disassembled my Reefer cabinet to remove the center panel and replace it with aluminum framing to make space for my new Trigger Platinum34 sump to fit inside the cabinet.  Now I just need to finish the plumbing and place the tank back on the stand before filling it with water.

IMG_0293.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/6/2021 at 10:12 PM, SuncrestReef said:

I got one step closer today.  I disassembled my Reefer cabinet to remove the center panel and replace it with aluminum framing to make space for my new Trigger Platinum34 sump to fit inside the cabinet.  Now I just need to finish the plumbing and place the tank back on the stand before filling it with water.

IMG_0293.jpg

@SuncrestReef How are you liking your new platinum sump ? I go back and forth. I just feel like the more automated something is the more likely it can go out on you at some point.

9 minutes ago, Emerald525 said:

@SuncrestReef How are you liking your new platinum sump ? I go back and forth. I just feel like the more automated something is the more likely it can go out on you at some point.

I’ve been sidetracked with other things, so I still haven’t finished assembling my new sump setup.  I hope to get the plumbing connected next week, then I can try it out.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, psychofireman said:

Where do you get your new rolls from? I got the bubble magnus small(arf-s) and it’s rolls are 102mmx25m. When I do searches I only find the system not just the roll. I will need to replace the roll soon and don’t want to run out 

https://www.aquacave.com/bubble-magus-replacement-roll-filter-small.html

I buy 10 at a time cause its cheaper

On 4/22/2021 at 2:15 PM, Emerald525 said:

OK, I finally finished the plumbing on my new Platinum34 sump and the tank is wet again!  I tested the roller for the first time this morning and it worked as expected.  What surprised me was the amount of dirt it captured from a completely empty tank (no rocks, no sand, no fish) that was just filled 12 hours ago with freshly mixed saltwater.  I can't wait to see how much real crap it filters out once the tank is stocked!

The roller motor is nearly silent, and it rotates the roll very slowly.  But you can see the water level lowering as the filter moves, and it stopped as soon as the float switch dropped.

IMG_0432.jpg

IMG_0418.jpeg

• Like 1