thought i was getting a brackish eel but got full on saltwater eel

miketoohey

18 minutes ago, miketoohey said:

i don't have a saltwater tank.so i got this snowflake eel thinking it was brackish but it isn't.still in shipping box need a home for him before he dies

I can take it and keep it in a temp tank until I can find a home for it.  PM me.

27 minutes ago, miketoohey said:

i don't have a saltwater tank.so i got this snowflake eel thinking it was brackish but it isn't.still in shipping box need a home for him before he dies

I can take it and keep it in a temp tank until I can find a home for it.  PM me.

40 minutes ago, miketoohey said:

How saline is your setup? 
If you're on the very high end of salinity it may be doable at like above 1.015 with a good acclimation process.

Edited by LadAShark

1 hour ago, miketoohey said:

Your best bet is to just take it to a saltwater shop asap tomorrow. That's super unfortunate..... Especially for the eel. 

I'm assuming you have salt? You could at least do a partial water change so it's not just wasting away in the shipping water. 

i would consider a trade for freshwater fish or just the price of the eel minus shipping which was $60.00 for the snowflake eel.the shipping was a another $40.00 This is a 7-10inch snowflake eel saltwater.I would trade a freshwater snowflake eel for my saltwater snowflake.I could really use some help with my dilemma Thanks squatch

Just now, miketoohey said:

i would consider a trade for freshwater fish or just the price of the eel minus shipping which was $60.00 for the snowflake eel.the shipping was a another $40.00 This is a 7-10inch snowflake eel saltwater.I would trade a freshwater snowflake eel for my saltwater snowflake.I could really use some help with my dilemma Thanks squatch

i live in Lake Stevens,Wash.

59 minutes ago, miketoohey said:

Are you not seeing the replies on this thread or something? You still just have the eel in its bag from the time you posted this?? I sure hope not

• Like 2

Hi mike,

please forgive some of the less than positive responses.  In this forum we all are passionate about the health of our pets as I’m sure you are too.

We all have made a purchase at some point that we regret and have learned from. I know I have.

Here’s the unfortunate reality. saltwater livestock are incredibly sensitive,  there are few who will purchase this fish given the additional stress it has experienced. Chances of its survival are lower than most would be comfortable with paying money for.

if you still have it, please consider offering it for free so someone can get it into an adequate, cycled, mature, bio diverse ecosystem ASAP. If you look at Anago (that’s what I’m calling your eel) I’ve no doubt you want it to survive.  It sucks to be out the money, but I imagine you’d feel better being out the money knowing you helped it survive an honest mistake, rather than be out the money and know it died in your care.

fastest way is to take it to a store and just tell them you can’t keep it.  They may even be willing to chip in $10 store credit.

thanks for hearing me out and good luck with the brackish system. 

-Parzifal (AKA the mad wannabe marine science geek)

Edited by Parzifal
Figured out a better name for the eel
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, miketoohey said:

no ive moved him into a 5gallon bucket were ive hooked up a heater and air stone.thanks for your concern.don't critisize help me find him a nice home.lazyman

7 hours ago, miketoohey said:

don't talk to me like im a idiot.lazyman.have a happy day

Sorry if the comments came across as rude.  People are just genuinely concerned for the eel. With all due respect what is keeping you from simply bringing this eel to a local fish store ? Considering the majority of us are at least 200 miles away from you or more  and we have saltwater tanks it’s not likely that you are going to find someone to trade you a freshwater eel. 

@miketoohey I don't want to come across rude at all, but this situation is understandably frustrating from our side (the saltwater aquarist), and I hope it's frustrating on your side as well, since the life of a gorgeous wild animal is at stake.   

There are some holes here though that make me question this entire post.  You bought an eel, and it arrived.  You don't have a tank for the one you were supposed to get to live in.  So, regardless, you were expecting to keep an eel in a bucket?    Can you satisfy my curiosity here?  

I'm certain that any LFS that isn't Petco or Petsmart will take your eel and either give you store credit or even just hold it for you while you find a home for it.  The LFS community is mostly great people with big hearts.   I'm confused what the holdup is.  <passion intensifies>Are you trying to get money for this eel?  Surely the money thing isn't worth staring into a bucket with a dead eel in it.  Please don't rob the earth of a creature for something as ridiculous as money.   

Please treat these animals at least as if they are your pets - because they are actually more than that.

If you can't take this fish into an LFS or at least meet somebody half way, then I can only assume this whole post is a scam and should be flagged/removed.   If only because locally, a snowflake moray is 20 bucks and scams usually end up being worth your time.   You'll never get 60 bucks for this eel, if it exists.    Got pictures of this animal/situation?

Here's a great guide to setting up a brackish tank, btw: https://www.joshsfrogs.com/catalog/blog/2019/10/starting-a-brackish-tank/

• Like 2

On 4/8/2021 at 10:11 AM, Micah said:

@miketoohey I don't want to come across rude at all, but this situation is understandably frustrating from our side (the saltwater aquarist), and I hope it's frustrating on your side as well, since the life of a gorgeous wild animal is at stake.   

There are some holes here though that make me question this entire post.  You bought an eel, and it arrived.  You don't have a tank for the one you were supposed to get to live in.  So, regardless, you were expecting to keep an eel in a bucket?    Can you satisfy my curiosity here?  

I'm certain that any LFS that isn't Petco or Petsmart will take your eel and either give you store credit or even just hold it for you while you find a home for it.  The LFS community is mostly great people with big hearts.   I'm confused what the holdup is.  <passion intensifies>Are you trying to get money for this eel?  Surely the money thing isn't worth staring into a bucket with a dead eel in it.  Please don't rob the earth of a creature for something as ridiculous as money.   

Please treat these animals at least as if they are your pets - because they are actually more than that.

If you can't take this fish into an LFS or at least meet somebody half way, then I can only assume this whole post is a scam and should be flagged/removed.   If only because locally, a snowflake moray is 20 bucks and scams usually end up being worth your time.   You'll never get 60 bucks for this eel, if it exists.    Got pictures of this animal/situation?

Here's a great guide to setting up a brackish tank, btw: https://www.joshsfrogs.com/catalog/blog/2019/10/starting-a-brackish-tank/

i'm sorry i came to you group of fish lovers.yes he is real if i new how to down load my pics from my phone i would post it .i have pics of my setting up my new 75gal.fish tank.ive been doing tanks for some time so this isn't my first rodeo.i just got myself into a corner. you know nothing about me so how would you know how i take care of my animals?i love all animals and would never do them any harm.so you judge someone else and quit wasting my time.           thanks for your time,not      squatch

On 4/8/2021 at 1:57 AM, miketoohey said:

no ive moved him into a 5gallon bucket were ive hooked up a heater and air stone.thanks for your concern.don't critisize help me find him a nice home.lazyman

On 4/2/2021 at 10:53 PM, Higher Thinking said:

Your best bet is to just take it to a saltwater shop asap tomorrow. That's super unfortunate..... Especially for the eel. 

I'm assuming you have salt? You could at least do a partial water change so it's not just wasting away in the shipping water. 

lazy man here... like others have mentioned just worried about the eel as they are the reason I actually even got into the hobby. From your post it seemed as though you didn’t really know how to use the forums or much to do with saltwater. I was wondering if you were even seeing the posts replying because your best answer is right here from higher thinking on April 2nd, you should’ve taken it into a store where someone knows exactly what they’re doing considering you don’t have a saltwater tank setup and a tank takes weeks to cycle to keep fish in. Housing an eel in a little bucket with an air stone/heater for weeks at a time won’t cut it unfortunately. It may be still alive but not for much longer I bet. It seems like you just wanted to get some money back for your mistake instead of truly caring for the animal which would’ve been the taking it into the saltwater store option in which they will offer trade in most times for in the future👍🏻 Not trying to be rude just breaking down what it seems like from your posts, hard to interpret someone’s intentions fully over a forum! 

6 hours ago, miketoohey said:

i'm sorry i came to you group of fish lovers.yes he is real if i new how to down load my pics from my phone i would post it .i have pics of my setting up my new 75gal.fish tank.ive been doing tanks for some time so this isn't my first rodeo.i just got myself into a corner. you know nothing about me so how would you know how i take care of my animals?i love all animals and would never do them any harm.so you judge someone else and quit wasting my time.           thanks for your time,not      squatch

Any update on this eel? Were you able to get it to a fish store?