DIY Apex break out box

BeardUp

I picked up an apex classic to compare to my reefpi set up the other day and realized I needed a module to connect my float switches for my ATO. I know I can order a break out box for around $35 but I like tinkering and had all the parts on hand except for the mini din. (I know I have some in a box somewhere.) 

I fired up tinkercad to make a quick box with a sliding lid and 7 6mm holes for the headphone jacks and the din cable. 

Once that was printed I bridged all the grounds and identified the pins and wires.

Then, on to soldering the connections.

Last, I attached it to my stand, slid the lid in and plugged it in. 

It works great but I learned my aqua lifter needs to be on socket 4 or 8 since it pulls so little voltage. 

20210329_151522.jpg

20210329_155248.jpg

20210329_161815.jpg

20210329_161900.jpg

20210329_162649.jpg

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Emerald525 said:

Wow that’s pretty slick . It always amazes me the skill of the DIY people on here . We still have that rib rack you made us at least if you are who I think you are lol since you changed your forum name.

Thanks! The rib rack belongs to some other handy reefer though. 

• Like 1

@Emerald525I have very little experience with cad programs and most of it was on small simple things for 3d printing. I used Sketchup a decade ago to mock up some wood working I was doing. I would probably check that out for the fish room. It has a large build area and tons of options. I remember it being really easy too. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

I had not heard of tinkercad. That’s a nice app. Is there one you recommend for designing a fish room ?

Sketchup is decent for a fish room, lots of prebuilt objects like brute cans :)

Tinkercad is so much easier to use, but at one point the scale was limited.  Maybe that restriction is lifted?

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Shar_Zard said:

I'm looking to build exactly that, and have all the parts, also just happened to get an ender 3 for the bday couple weeks ago. Would you mind sharing that 3D file for the box, so I don't have to mock one up and save myself some work :)

I tried to throw them on Thiniverse but it was not working. I have attached the STLs for the one shown as well as a wider version that I printed first before I realized I could slim it down. Let me know if you need to source files.

Apex Breakout Box mini.stl Apex BoB lid mini.stl Apex Breakout Box.stl Apex BOB lid.stl