New tips to speed up the cycling process

So as I am starting my tank up after a 3 year hiatus. I am going to try to add little tidbits of new information.

I was going to go bare bottom but in order to get faster growth of the denitrifying bacteria Dr. Tim recommends using sand as they need substrate to grow.

Key points 

Use Sand

No lights 

Test kits for ammonia and nitrite (optional nitrate)

No skimmer or filter socks 

Temp of 80 to 84

Salinity of 20 ppt

add denitrifying bacteria (I use Dr. Tim’s)

Keep ammonia at less than 5ppm

Don’t use a shrimp use a pure form of ammonia like Dr. Tim’s . It’s cheap and low ammonia helps encourage the denitrifying bacteria.

Here is the video that explains why?

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/macna-2019-dr-tim-hovanec

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emerald525 said:

So as I am starting my tank up after a 3 year hiatus. I am going to try to add little tidbits of new information.

I was going to go bare bottom but in order to get faster growth of the denitrifying bacteria Dr. Tim recommends using sand as they need substrate to grow.

Key points 

Use Sand

No lights 

Test kits for ammonia and nitrite (optional nitrate)

No skimmer or filter socks 

Temp of 80 to 84

Salinity of 20 ppt

add denitrifying bacteria (I use Dr. Tim’s)

Keep ammonia at less than 5ppm

Here is the video that explains why?

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/content/post/macna-2019-dr-tim-hovanec

The only way I do it anymore!!

• Like 1

Use real live rock (florida is about the only option left) and you will basically have an instant cycle.  I realize that it is expensive and there are there are some unwanted hitch hikers but the bio diversity that you start out with makes the start up so much easier.  I've started up many tanks over the last 25 years and I've used both live and dry rock and I would never start up another tank with dry rock again.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Blue Z Reef said:

I used this for ammonia instead of waiting for shrimp to decompose and all that jazz. 

Fritz PRO - Ammonium Chloride - 500gm https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OTH5TAQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_PTQJE3QYG87YJ1KAQ3H9

I just use the 4 dollar bottle that Dr. Tim’s sells. Besides not a big fan of Fritz either lol. They ghosted me, Cuttlefish and Golden Basket when they had promised us a donation for the TFT Frag show .. not that I hold a grudge 😝 or anything but it was not a good first impression.  Oh wait my first impression was the douchy sales guy Sean who repeatedly stepped in front of me and interrupted me when I was talking to MattV at the Seattle Frag show . See I don’t hold a grudge 🤪...

:backtotopic:

Hijacking my own thread..:laugh: You make a good point Jeff it’s better to use a pure form of ammonia not a dead shrimp as it doesn’t smell and you have more control that way. I’m going to put that on my list.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Blue Z Reef said:

Haha yeah gotta love that! My main point was just to use an additive instead so sounds like you are set. The Fritz stuff is so much powder you basically have a lifetime supply that you’ll never be able to use up. 

No it’s definitely a better option for price but I always gravitate to premixed items even when they cost more. Unless the price is considerably higher. I just for some reason always make such a mess when I mix things and get powder all over the place. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ocboat said:

Use real live rock (florida is about the only option left) and you will basically have an instant cycle.  I realize that it is expensive and there are there are some unwanted hitch hikers but the bio diversity that you start out with makes the start up so much easier.  I've started up many tanks over the last 25 years and I've used both live and dry rock and I would never start up another tank with dry rock again.  

Real live rock for sure will minimize your cycle. Really didn’t have a cycle at all when I did that with a tank this size. I have lots of dried out rock to use.  My plan is to give it all a bleach bath because I have dealt with all kinds of hitchhikers including this macroalgae. 

1 hour ago, shaywood said:

Good point on sand. I think Randy at BRS has since added sand to his new system, as are others. Most complain of continued instability and long term troublesome algae. 

Was it a bare bottom before?  I was thinking of doing a bare bottom tank for my 120. I will have to look at that. I would think with a big system and a sump and fuge you would have enough surface area of substrate to maintain a population. On the video Dr. Tim’s mentions using sand but once you have a good colony of bacteria you can suck it out. 
He also made a point that if you use live sand and which I did to check your ammonia level as the bacteria can break down inorganics in the sand. Sure enough I had some ammonia.