Other than super glue

Saltfishlover

I’ve been using AquaForest Poly Glue for years, but it appears they no longer sell it.  It starts as small white plastic-like pellets, but when you soak them in hot water they melt into a clear rubbery substance with the consistency of silly putty.  It conforms to any shape, so I’ve used it for bonding rocks for aquascaping as well as small beads on frag plugs with a dab of super glue for frags.  Once it cools it turns white again and is hard as a rock.  It works amazingly well and is not messy or sticky and has no smell.  Whatever is left over can be soaked again in hot water to melt and be used again.

I only have about 1/4 of the container left, so I hope I can find something similar once I use up the rest.

C9046DF1-F53C-49C9-B2D9-4A863F817250.jpeg

9524B054-F229-4E25-9C5E-CC0A49D8F2D5.jpeg

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SuncrestReef said:

I’ve been using AquaForest Poly Glue for years, but it appears they no longer sell it.  It starts as small white plastic-like pellets, but when you soak them in hot water they melt into a clear rubbery substance with the consistency of silly putty.  It conforms to any shape, so I’ve used it for bonding rocks for aquascaping as well as small beads on frag plugs with a dab of super glue for frags.  Once it cools it turns white again and is hard as a rock.  It works amazingly well and is not messy or sticky and has no smell.  Whatever is left over can be soaked again in hot water to melt and be used again.

I only have about 1/4 of the container left, so I hope I can find something similar once I use up the rest.

C9046DF1-F53C-49C9-B2D9-4A863F817250.jpeg

9524B054-F229-4E25-9C5E-CC0A49D8F2D5.jpeg

It says it's in stock at Marine Depot, so I'm going to order more now! 

https://www.marinedepot.com/aquaforest-af-poly-glue-250ml

This is the first time I've seen it listed in quite a while.  Bulk Reef Supply says it's been discontinued.

IME the only problem with superglue is that it doesnt stick to the rocks well because of the biofilm covering the rocks. I find that rubbing it directly on the rock with your finger fixes this. Apply superglue to rock, apply superglue to frag, push them together and rub & twist until it starts to set. 

Epoxy can be so bulky and ugly, but a well done superglued frag can have more or less no visible glue. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

This is the first time I've seen it listed in quite a while.  Bulk Reef Supply says it's been discontinued.

Looks like AquaMaxx has picked up the product line, and added a "purple" version (white + purple beads).  And available in larger size.

image.png

https://www.marinedepot.com/fragging-supplies/coral-glue-epoxy-adhesives/aquamaxx

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, EMeyer said:

IME the only problem with superglue is that it doesnt stick to the rocks well because of the biofilm covering the rocks. I find that rubbing it directly on the rock with your finger fixes this. Apply superglue to rock, apply superglue to frag, push them together and rub & twist until it starts to set. 

Epoxy can be so bulky and ugly, but a well done superglued frag can have more or less no visible glue. 

How do u put the glue to rock? Take it out? I've tried long ago to use the glue under water and it solidified in the tubes nozzle.  Didn't work and had to throw the whole tune away

8 hours ago, SuncrestReef said:

I like this stuff.  I may order it.  Looks like what I need 

• Like 1

I have tried this new beaded reef welder, it requires hot water to activate it and don't have much time to work with.

Most of time only works for above water gluing because it will harden and no longer sticky very fast soonest touch the water with temp that we keep at

Another thing that I don't like is that it needs to be keep in hot water to make it soft and possible burning fingers when handling it

Wish it only need just room temp water to activate will be so much easier

IME a combination of white epoxy and cyanoacrylate glue currently is the best for attaching coral above and under water 

Make 1/2" - 1" ball of epoxy depending the size of frag, first put a bead of glue on the plug and press light the epoxy ball till attach to plug, apply another bead of glue on the other open end then while holding the frag plug press to a rock. It will attached good even on the side of ledge or upside down placement.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Saltfishlover said:

How do u put the glue to rock? Take it out? I've tried long ago to use the glue under water and it solidified in the tubes nozzle.  Didn't work and had to throw the whole tune away

Glue on your finger, rub it on the rock. Gloves are nice.