🦶🦶I’m back!! Getting my feet wet again!!

Emerald525

On 3/24/2021 at 8:08 PM, Emerald525 said:

Almost 3 years !

I can't believe it's been that long already!!  Glad to see you back at it Kim and jealous of your fish room potential - so much easier when you have the room and facilities to do "wet work".  BTW - get ready to lots of polishing on that very nice stainless sink setup - we had one in a zebrafish room at work and it would surface rust constantly even with the low salt content in their water 😞 I don't even have a functional utility sink though so you are way better off 🙂 

1 hour ago, albertareef said:

I can't believe it's been that long already!!  Glad to see you back at it Kim and jealous of your fish room potential - so much easier when you have the room and facilities to do "wet work".  BTW - get ready to lots of polishing on that very nice stainless sink setup - we had one in a zebrafish room at work and it would surface rust constantly even with the low salt content in their water 😞 I don't even have a functional utility sink though so you are way better off 🙂 

I had that concern as well so I ordered this protectant called Everbrite. Great company by the way. They asked when I ordered online what it was for and switched it out since I had ordered the wrong one. I will let you know how it holds up !

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Emerald525 said:

I had that concern as well so I ordered this protectant called Everbrite. Great company by the way. They asked when I ordered online what it was for and switched it out since I had ordered the wrong one. I will let you know how it holds up !

Good luck!  Hope that works out.  We tried a few things and ultimately had it replaced with a resin counter/sink combination like in our regular lab spaces 😞 I was honestly surprised as the salt content in that system is pretty low compared to what we run in our setups.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Tank has been up and cycling for 3 weeks now. Still doing lights off and have not had significant algae break out yet. NH3 was at zero and nitrites dropped so I did a 20 percent water change dropped the temp (I was doing low salinity high temp to encourage denitrifying bacteria ) and added this little gem.🥰 

I am fully aware a 25 gallon tank is too small but I am setting up a 120 gallon eventually as well as a 40 gallon Frag tank so plenty of spots for this guy to go.  My plan is to use this little tank as a QT tank.

4B7958E2-CCD9-4EBD-B7E4-8EA9602D0F10.jpeg07CC3E0E-D35D-486C-AAFB-E8F2C60CAEE3.jpeg

• Like 2

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
8 hours ago, Blue Z Reef said:

34BE90A4-E51F-444A-9B36-9494A2A1EEC6.jpeg

image.gif

image.gif

Lol I know you’re joking 😂 but a good subject to bring up.  Not all tangs are the same.  I had some macroalgae that was overgrowing the rocks. Baby sailfin , Tomini and two spot  wouldn’t touch It. Purple tang is the only thing I have found that will so far in all my years and this one is keeping the tank Algae free except for the bubble algae. Purple tangs are grazers so they don’t tend to be bothered by smaller spaces. Achilles need lots of space to be happy which is one of the reasons they often don’t do welI in captivity. I moved  the two spot into Sirenas forty gallon when it was showing signs of stress (swimming back and forth on one side fighting with its reflection). That all went away in the 40 gallon. Obviously the plan I to move this tang to the bigger tank when it is up and running.