Looking for aiptasia eating filefish

Oregonic

14 minutes ago, Oregonic said:

Hoping to find one that has proven to be a somewhat model citizen that does not go after coral. May have to roll the dice on one tho. 

Honestly even if you got one from another hobbyist , you are still rolling the dice.  In the fish world model citizens go rogue all the time.  Too bad you missed out on the guy selling berghias. I have tried many ways  of eradicating aiptasia :

majano wandS

joes juice 

torching the rock ( don’t recommend this really noxious fumes )

Peppermint shrimps 

yelling at them

Berghias did the best 

I never used a file fish though for the very concern you have. It’s no fun watching a fish chow down on your prized corals .

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

Honestly even if you got one from another hobbyist , you are still rolling the dice.  In the fish world model citizens go rogue all the time.  Too bad you missed out on the guy selling berghias. I have tried many ways  of eradicating aiptasia :

majano wandS

joes juice 

torching the rock ( don’t recommend this really noxious fumes )

Peppermint shrimps 

yelling at them

Berghias did the best 

I never used a file fish though for the very concern you have. It’s no fun watching a fish chow down on your prized corals .

I have several wrasses which limit my options. I will say in a little 10 gallon I have that a peppermint shrimp did great, he will be moved to the sump of the big tank. 

5 hours ago, The ReefBox said:

I have one that I’ve had fir 2 years I might part with. He is an aptasia machine  I’m starting up a new tsnk so he may not make the switch 

I may be interested, I did have somebody message me earlier that has one. Of it falls through I will let you know. If you have had yours for 2 years and he doesn’t eat coral you have a gem. 

Just now, Oregonic said:

I have several wrasses which limit my options. I will say in a little 10 gallon I have that a peppermint shrimp did great, he will be moved to the sump of the big tank. 

I was successful with a 150 gallon with wrasses. I just got like 15 of them. ( back when someone was selling them 4 dollars a piece lol) The trick was adding them at night and they multiply so quickly that the wrasses really didn’t get to them. I had a mystery wrasse and a melanarus at the time.

1 hour ago, Emerald525 said:

I was successful with a 150 gallon with wrasses. I just got like 15 of them. ( back when someone was selling them 4 dollars a piece lol) The trick was adding them at night and they multiply so quickly that the wrasses really didn’t get to them. I had a mystery wrasse and a melanarus at the time.

My rock leaves no where for them to hide during the day, all artificial branch. I wish I could use them, they seem to be the best option.  They also seem likely to be expensive snacks 🤣 My red coris is a terror, he flips a few smaller rocks that I have added to isolate zoas and such. I added a peppermint a few months ago, was killed within 10 min of the red coris waking up the next day. He has also wiped out 2 conches within a day or two of adding them. For some reason he does not go after my turbo snails 🤷🏻‍♂️  A8595EC3-6AFE-49AA-9314-17A26E3B65D4.thumb.jpeg.156f4a76fd10747aae5f4a4ea6dcaf0c.jpeg

1 hour ago, Oregonic said:

My rock leaves no where for them to hide during the day, all artificial branch. I wish I could use them, they seem to be the best option.  They also seem likely to be expensive snacks 🤣 My red coris is a terror, he flips a few smaller rocks that I have added to isolate zoas and such. I added a peppermint a few months ago, was killed within 10 min of the red coris waking up the next day. He has also wiped out 2 conches within a day or two of adding them. For some reason he does not go after my turbo snails 🤷🏻‍♂️  A8595EC3-6AFE-49AA-9314-17A26E3B65D4.thumb.jpeg.156f4a76fd10747aae5f4a4ea6dcaf0c.jpeg

Lol yeah not many places to hide .. 😳

• Like 1