Jump to content

Looking for aiptasia eating filefish


Oregonic
 Share

Recommended Posts

14 minutes ago, Oregonic said:

Hoping to find one that has proven to be a somewhat model citizen that does not go after coral. May have to roll the dice on one tho. 

Honestly even if you got one from another hobbyist , you are still rolling the dice.  In the fish world model citizens go rogue all the time.  Too bad you missed out on the guy selling berghias. I have tried many ways  of eradicating aiptasia :

majano wandS

joes juice 

torching the rock ( don’t recommend this really noxious fumes )

Peppermint shrimps 

yelling at them

Berghias did the best 

I never used a file fish though for the very concern you have. It’s no fun watching a fish chow down on your prized corals .

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Emerald525 said:

Honestly even if you got one from another hobbyist , you are still rolling the dice.  In the fish world model citizens go rogue all the time.  Too bad you missed out on the guy selling berghias. I have tried many ways  of eradicating aiptasia :

majano wandS

joes juice 

torching the rock ( don’t recommend this really noxious fumes )

Peppermint shrimps 

yelling at them

Berghias did the best 

I never used a file fish though for the very concern you have. It’s no fun watching a fish chow down on your prized corals .

I have several wrasses which limit my options. I will say in a little 10 gallon I have that a peppermint shrimp did great, he will be moved to the sump of the big tank. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, The ReefBox said:

I have one that I’ve had fir 2 years I might part with. He is an aptasia machine  I’m starting up a new tsnk so he may not make the switch 

I may be interested, I did have somebody message me earlier that has one. Of it falls through I will let you know. If you have had yours for 2 years and he doesn’t eat coral you have a gem. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Oregonic said:

I have several wrasses which limit my options. I will say in a little 10 gallon I have that a peppermint shrimp did great, he will be moved to the sump of the big tank. 

I was successful with a 150 gallon with wrasses. I just got like 15 of them. ( back when someone was selling them 4 dollars a piece lol) The trick was adding them at night and they multiply so quickly that the wrasses really didn’t get to them. I had a mystery wrasse and a melanarus at the time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Emerald525 said:

I was successful with a 150 gallon with wrasses. I just got like 15 of them. ( back when someone was selling them 4 dollars a piece lol) The trick was adding them at night and they multiply so quickly that the wrasses really didn’t get to them. I had a mystery wrasse and a melanarus at the time.

My rock leaves no where for them to hide during the day, all artificial branch. I wish I could use them, they seem to be the best option.  They also seem likely to be expensive snacks 🤣 My red coris is a terror, he flips a few smaller rocks that I have added to isolate zoas and such. I added a peppermint a few months ago, was killed within 10 min of the red coris waking up the next day. He has also wiped out 2 conches within a day or two of adding them. For some reason he does not go after my turbo snails 🤷🏻‍♂️  A8595EC3-6AFE-49AA-9314-17A26E3B65D4.thumb.jpeg.156f4a76fd10747aae5f4a4ea6dcaf0c.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Oregonic said:

My rock leaves no where for them to hide during the day, all artificial branch. I wish I could use them, they seem to be the best option.  They also seem likely to be expensive snacks 🤣 My red coris is a terror, he flips a few smaller rocks that I have added to isolate zoas and such. I added a peppermint a few months ago, was killed within 10 min of the red coris waking up the next day. He has also wiped out 2 conches within a day or two of adding them. For some reason he does not go after my turbo snails 🤷🏻‍♂️  A8595EC3-6AFE-49AA-9314-17A26E3B65D4.thumb.jpeg.156f4a76fd10747aae5f4a4ea6dcaf0c.jpeg

Lol yeah not many places to hide .. 😳

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...