Sump recommendations

psychofireman

I am seriously considering getting a sump and doing away with my canister filters. I have 55 gal tank. Any suggestions on size or brand of sump. I will be using the bubble magnus small filter thingy, a protein skimmer( have a hob, octo90 I thinking, would like to hang on sump),  refugium, uv sterilization and my heater in sump

5 hours ago, psychofireman said:

I am seriously considering getting a sump and doing away with my canister filters. I have 55 gal tank. Any suggestions on size or brand of sump. I will be using the bubble magnus small filter thingy, a protein skimmer( have a hob, octo90 I thinking, would like to hang on sump),  refugium, uv sterilization and my heater in sump

You can find lots out there. A simple 40 gallon breeder tank will work with a few simple mods. I’m sure you can find lots of sump not being used here as well

is your tank already drilled or you going to use a hang on the back style overflow?

Most space/volume you can fit is usually nicest. As Brian says, you can go basic and cheap with a 40B tank conversion or go crazy with so high end sump.

Ive been happy with my eshopps sump but it’s for a 200 gal tank (R300 model), so hard to compare to a smaller option.

The HOB skimmer is probably not ideal. I’d sell it and go with an in sump model, they usually work better and will fit correctly without making your sump configuration super awkward. These days a pretty decent skimmer new can be had for $200 or less for a tank your size.

May look for a used one or catch a sale (there are some going on right now on the big online vendors).

2 hours ago, The ReefBox said:

You can find lots out there. A simple 40 gallon breeder tank will work with a few simple mods. I’m sure you can find lots of sump not being used here as well

is your tank already drilled or you going to use a hang on the back style overflow?

My tank already has a in and out hole in the back upper part of tank

1 hour ago, psychofireman said:

Would I need to run a protein skimmer if I’m using a roller filter thingy?

Short answer is yes depending on lots of variables. Roller mats from my understanding replace using filter socks  so depending on fish load, feedings and other variables you could possibly get away without a protein skimmer 

18 hours ago, psychofireman said:

The stand has 2 doors that are 19”wide x 21” high. The inside is 16” deep. So not sure how big of tank I can fit in there

You have pics of the stand? How much space is available under the stand? 

With only 16 deep that eliminates a 40b. A 20 long might fit depending on the door setup.