Euphyllia going down

Bicyclebill

On 3/3/2021 at 5:42 AM, EMeyer said:

Ciprofloxacin at 0.125 mg per L. 

I find a specific Arcobacter sp. in every specimen of BJD I can get my hands on. This antibiotic knocks it out, and has in my hands been safe for in-tank treatments. 

I've treated two tanks with it, saved half a dozen colonies of Euphyllia. 

There are certainly ciliates visible in the samples of BJD but I consider them secondary. In my opinion they are eating the coral tissue that's already dying from the bacterial infection. 

What's the in tank Ciprofloxacin dosing regiment?  0.125mg/L once per how many days, and how many times?  Is there a concern for creating drug resistant BJD?

16 hours ago, danlu_gt said:

What's the in tank Ciprofloxacin dosing regiment?  0.125mg/L once per how many days, and how many times?  Is there a concern for creating drug resistant BJD?

I repeated the treatment 3 times, 2-3 days apart. I havent experimented further with this dosing schedule... perhaps additional doses over a longer period would be useful, I can't say. 

In principle any use of antibiotics introduces a risk of selecting for antibiotic resistance. It seems this risk is greatest with chronic exposure, or the prophylactic use of antibiotics. I consider treating a lethal (to the corals) infection to be a situation where the risk is justified, but I guess I'd hesitate to ever say there is no risk of this happening. All I can do is minimize it. I certainly would not recommend using any in-tank antibiotics in a preventative way, for that reason. 

• Like 1

EMeyer, I'm curious if the Cipro Tx regimen affected the performance of the biofilter? That's a really low concentration but I wonder if it resulted in any noticeable difference in your NH3 and NO3 values in the short-term?

Edited by IntoTheMystic

Embarrassed to say I did not measure nutrients. I did see reduced levels of ammonia oxidizing microbes, but not nitrite oxidizing bacteria. Also no visible changes in the tanks (no nuisance algae etc)

I need to measure nutrients next time

• Like 1

Don't be embarrassed in the least. You were focusing on other aspects of this Tx regimen. If you saw reduced counts of the NH3 oxidizing genera and no effect on the NO2 genera then that pretty much addresses my question. Sure do appreciate the scientific approach you bring to these discussions. :drinking:

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/10/2021 at 4:52 AM, EMeyer said:

I repeated the treatment 3 times, 2-3 days apart. I havent experimented further with this dosing schedule... perhaps additional doses over a longer period would be useful, I can't say. 

In principle any use of antibiotics introduces a risk of selecting for antibiotic resistance. It seems this risk is greatest with chronic exposure, or the prophylactic use of antibiotics. I consider treating a lethal (to the corals) infection to be a situation where the risk is justified, but I guess I'd hesitate to ever say there is no risk of this happening. All I can do is minimize it. I certainly would not recommend using any in-tank antibiotics in a preventative way, for that reason. 

Thank you for the tip.  One of my wall hammer didn't expand for a week and possibly early sign of BJD.  Dosed cipro and on fifth day started to expand again!

• Like 1